Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Mosul, Iraq


Greetings from Mosul! I am now in FOB Diamondback and enjoying my cozy accommodations. We've had a lot of buisiness since we started taking over the Hospital last week. Our base has been mortared at least three times since we arrived the most recent attack was at 2:30 this morning. Generally we are awakened by the PA speaker's voice saying "Bunkers, Bunkers, Bunkers" and then everyone scurries to the bunkers and waits until an "All Clear" is issued.

In the picture to the left you can see our Chu's (what we call our apartments or rooms). The concrete structure in the middle of the picture is a bunker where we huddle together in the early morning hours as needed. All joking aside I feel very safe and protected. As Fred Chairsell (my senior partner at Constoga OMS) instructed me, I am keeping my head down. I have have the oprotunity to help a few patients here but I have come to see that my resources are very limited. I don't have access to modern plating systems so much of the treatment I can render is not state of the art...but the important thing is that I can make a difference even without contemporary plating systems.

Please feel free to send me a letter and e-mail if you have the time. I miss everyone greatly...only another 60 days or so till I'm back in the US. Thank you for all your prayers and help with my family. I love y'all!

7 comments:

Lady said...

Great to see a post from you again. I am glad to see the pictures of your quarters since the photo I found wasn't quite accurate. Glad to know you're safe considering the attacks on base. Continue to keep us posted! Miss you terribly!!

Taffy said...

So good to hear from you again! We love you much!

B said...

We all love you Man! I'm glad to hear you can still do some good, even without state of the art supplies, etc.

Anonymous said...

It's so good to see your posts. You are in our prayers (several times) daily. I'll bet it feels great being able to help these people. Has anything changed with your supplies? Are they getting you more of what you need? Keep the great pictures coming. I'll bet it's so nice for your cute little family to be able to visualize you in your surroundings! AS

Anonymous said...

Love to read your posts.It's so neat to be able to keep in touch even though we are half a world apart. Even better that we don't have to wait on snail mail. You are on my mind and in my prayers almost constantly. The rest of the time your family is there. We so love the whole bunch of you guys. (Gals are always included when I say guys.)

Ree said...

It doesnt take top notch comforts or technology to do good for others. Thanks again for your service. Keep up the good work.

Trick said...

My kids pray that "Uncle Daniel will be careful in Iraq." We will keep praying for you. We love you and are so proud of you.