Sunday, October 01, 2006

In The Service


Kuwait in some people’s eyes is a God forsaken land. It definitely is a desert with almost nothing in sight for miles; barren, unforgiving, hot, dry, windy, with few signs of life. I looked on the weather map the other day and it appears that Kuwait is the hottest place on the Earth. Welcome to my life at present. I’d love to include a few photos some with captions and probably some without.
As far as I know right now I’ll be heading to Mosul, Iraq and be functioning as the only OMS in the area. I’m doing well and staying safe. Nothing too exciting so far. I want everyone to know that their prayers and hopes help me each day…thank you soooo much for your love and caring.
Food and meals have been fantastic. The Army really does a nice job with their menus. There is plenty of food with an outstanding variety to encompass all tastes. As you see we are staying in tent type shelters and sleeping on cots at the present time. Our tents are equipped with A/C so they are quite comfortable even in the hot mid-day and afternoon. The sun comes up at about 5 and goes down in the evening around 6:30. Mornings, evenings and nights are very comfortable and actually quite delightful. The middle of the day is unbearable however.
We had the chance to fire our weapons a couple of mornings ago. This was to allow us to be sure that they worked properly prior to going over the berm into Iraq.
I want everyone to know that I am doing extremely well and my thoughts and prayers turn to you many times during each day as I pray for your safety and guidance by the spirit. I pray for your welfare and wellbeing. My love for all of you is great and has intensified since my departure. My trek will in the end be quite short but I feel assured by the spirit that it is important for those who are under my care. I also feel that we (you and I) will be blessed with an increase in our closeness emotionally and spiritually. May the Good Lord bless you with peace and understanding.
I love you all!

8 comments:

Lady said...

So Wonderful to see and hear from you. We are glad to know that you are safe, well fed and happy. We wish you safe journey to your post in Iraq and know that you will certainly bless those you serve. We miss you everyday and are counting down the days til your return. Keep posting as often as you can - It really helps us! We love you!

Anonymous said...

You look great! It is so good to hear a bit about what you are experiencing. We are so happy you are safe and well. I'll bet you are ready to get to work. You really will be a blessing to so many people. Thanks for posting those great pictures! AS

Froga-lee said...

Your weather report could be from here except the sun is coming up each morning before 6:30am as I am rushing my daughter to her early morning class. I think it goes down at about 6:30 pm but I don't notice as much because I am not usually battling the sun's glare to get about at that time of day.
I't probably a bit more humid there because you are closer to the sea than we are. That can make 100+ much more difficult. John was commenting on the heat in Valley of the Sun as not being so much in the air as coming from intense solar radiation. Whenever I feel hot here, I think of John across town walking around being happy in a suit. Now I will also think of you!

Mark said...

Man - thanks again for your service. My kids pray that the war will end soon, and that you can come home safe. I pray that you will be protected, and that your family will be comforted and sustained through to your return.

Taffy said...

We too continue to pray for you and your family. At my new location, my eyes have been opened to the reality of the war. (complete with loud booms and a shaking house durring some of the drills that they run around here) I'm glad to hear you are safe and well. I love you.

Anonymous said...

We love the posts and pictures . We love you and your family and pray for all of you constantly. Thanks for being who you are. SPH-1

Man said...

You guys are awesome! I love you all!

Anonymous said...

May God bless you & your family for your service to us & Heavenly Father. I have felt many times since the war began that it is one of the ways for the gospel to be spread to our brothers & sisters in that part of the world. May God comfort you, your wife, and children. You are in our prayers each day.