Thursday, October 05, 2006

Mosul, Iraq

When Daniel told me he was being assigned to Camp Diamondback, or FOB (forward operating base) Diamondback near Mosul I did some research. I thought I would list the web addresses if any of you are interested in what I found.

This one is the history of Mosul.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/mosul.htm

This one tells about Saddam's palace near Mosul that is now occupied as a US military command center. I wonder if Daniel will ever make it over there and swim in one of the pools.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/mosul-cc.htm

This one tells the history of Camp Diamondback. It looks a litte rustic to me but perhaps these pictures were taken several years ago. At least there are some trees unlike Kuwait.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/mosul-airbase.htm

I spoke to Daniel last night and he seems to be doing well. He said that he taught a lecture on trauma and used a slide show he put together on his computer. People had shown interest in getting some continuing education and they had voluteers put together some lectures. They have been having courses on how to use the computer systems for processing in-patients and out-patients. They have also been going thru mass cassualty drills. I think they will be heading out soon because when I asked how much longer the would be in Kuwait, I got the evasive answer - "You'll know when I get there."

I also sent my first package. Just so you know if the package is over one pound you have to fill out a customs form. You must list all items inside. I told the post master that it takes all the fun out of getting a package if the contents are listed on the outside. A litte anti-climatic. He said that it usually takes 1 to 2 weeks to arrive overseas. All the APO packages are sent to New York where they wait for "space available" on military flights going over there. The postage was the same as domestic prices though.

Hope that gives you all a little more insight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, Thank you for the update and info. Hope all is well with you and yours. love, SPH-1

Man said...

Thanks for keeping everyone informed...you really are the best, Lady. Love You.

Unknown said...

Please remember to include insurance on all packages! I tried to send a package with a brand new laptop to my husband there and it never made it past our post office! And get it tracked. I didn't. All I had was a customs page.