Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Travels of a Soldier


Hello everyone. I first want to say hi to my precious family. I also want to thank all family friends and acquaintances that have been praying for my safety. Big hellos go out to my partners, assistants and coworkers at COMS. I would also like to acknowledge my wonderful patients who have also pledged to pray for and care for my family in my absence.

Preparation for full deployment tends to be somewhat lengthy, but even with all the briefs that you need to receive, shots you have to get, credentialing, privileges, finance, dental and the list goes on, things move along pretty quickly. We were able to leave the US in somewhere around a week's time and headed through Bangor, ME on our way to Leipzig, Germany. Once in Germany we had some plane trouble and had to remain in Germany an extra day and sleep in some provisional beds for the night. We eventually got to Kuwait a day late and then traveled to Camp Beuhring. On the way to the camp we got in a bus accident in which the back bus driver rammed the front bus completely disabling the front bus. There were a few bumps and bruises but gratefully no one was severely injured, killed or maimed. We finally got to camp or to our tent around 4:30AM and my buddy and I waited one hour to get breakfast. We then went home and tried to get some sleep. I was awakened at 8:30 am to tell me that I needed to be in a class in 30 minutes. Needless to say we were all very tired with many a sleepless night. We pushed tiredly through the class but it sure reminded me of residency at OU and Iowa. Things are going very well and my spirits are high, I really cherish the opportunity to serve my country and family. Thank you all for being so encouraging and supportive to me, it goes a long way. I will include a few pictures for your visual enjoyment!

8 comments:

Jim and Reenie said...

You're looking pretty dangerous in all that gear. Especially with the pistol in your hand. I'd rather see you with a fly rod instead, but we sure appreciate your taking your talent and skill over there to help the guys and gals that have paid a big price. We love you and miss you.
Your ice cream cake remains in the freezer
Keep your head down
Jim

Jim and Reenie said...

Great picture of you holding the sun. Cool. You are in our prayers every day and we are enjoying your family in your absence.
Love, Reenie

P.S.
Jim said the Phillies just won the national league championship!!!!

Emmy said...

Man, thank you for writing. It is nice to read about your experiences in your own words. You are missed!
We love you!

Ree said...

Good to hear from you Man, and see the cool pics. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

The Gang said...

Wow- LOVE the pics! Come home safe! We miss you!

Taffy said...

So good to know that you arrived safely! Did you need a hot pad to hold the sun like that? Love you. you are in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

He's got the whole sun in his hands!

I'm so glad you arrived safely, if eventfully!

What kind of class did you have to go to?

And random memory...do you remember that picture of me at the Mautz's (in Chelle's room) with the the leather coat, that Mommy thought was you? The first pic of you in the camo for some reason reminds me of the picture...it makes me smile!

Stay safe! We love you and are praying for you and your family! Thank you for your service.

B

Princess Gerty said...

Taffy! You crack me up about the hot pad! B, I see what you are saying about the first photo, and yes, it does look similar to you.
Man, thank you so much for keeping in touch.