Friday, October 31, 2008

Pumpkin Carving

I think my kids favorite family tradition of the year is pumpkin carving. (A close second is probably making sand tart cut-out Christmas cookies.)  They love the designing involved.  They loves knives and they love fire.  So it's pretty much the greatest.

You'll have to bear with me because there are ALOT of photos.  I just couldn't bear to leave any out especially since Daniel wasn't here to see all the fun.

We started out with the scooping.
Piper was sure to point out which pumpkin was hers.
After the scooping came everyone's favorite part:  Barfing up the guts.  Why is this so fun?  I'm not sure but it is.  Try it!
Ainsley says she was barfing but it looks more like eating to me.  Maybe she's a puppy.  They do both.
And if you think this game is just for kids?  You're wrong.  My Dad couldn't wait to get in on this game.  He told the kids, "Look at the Master, watch and learn."
Piper did NOT like Papaw's new look.  She stood there very concerned and said, "Papaw chin, Papaw, chin"
After all the barfing - we laughed and laughed.
Then we actually got around to some cutting.
We admired our works of art, each behind their own design.
A close up.
Then we used fire - and we watched them glow.  We put them on the porch and let them burn all night til their candles went out.
Happy Halloween!!

8 comments:

MAN said...

Lady you were up way too late posting this but let me tell you it is Laugh out Loud funny to see the kids and Jim barf up the pumpkin guts. Do you see how concentrated Ainsley's face is as she is scooping out the innards of her pumpkin. Everyone looks really good and genuinely happy. It looks like you guys had a really good time. Love and miss y'all so much.
Daddy/Daniel

The Gang said...

These pictures are HILARIOUS! Everyone looks like they are having an excellent time!! You go Pawpaw!

Jim and Reenie said...

I forgot that when these digital pictures are snapped, they can be up on the internet as public domain in seconds and my reputation scarred forever
...reputation???
Dad

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Great pumpkins. You know dad was involved when they look that good! Love the photos of the barfing... very classy :o)

Judi said...

I love the pumpkins. I have never heard of barfing up the pumpkin guts though!

Boss said...

Pumpkin barfing has never been a tradition in my family, but now that I know about it, you can bet we'll be in on it next year.

Those are great jack-0-lanterns. I especially love the scars on the boys' pumpkins. I wouldn't want to meet those tough gourds in a dark alley!

emlizalmo said...

Pawpaw is scary!

Princess Gerty said...

I haven't ever heard of pumpkin barfing, either (and we even spent a Halloween with you guys once--maybe this was started after that?) Any way, MacGregor reminds me of his older cousin Big B in these. So funny!