Saturday, October 18, 2008

Guest Flight Attendant


My wonderful spouse told me that I needed to tell everyone about this so here goes....
On our flight from Germany to Kuwait (just about 5 hrs in duration) I got a little stir crazy or was suffering from cabin fever. About two and half hours into the flight I got up and walked up to the front of the plane (I was in row 34 seat H in a DC-10). I began chatting with the sweetest flight attendant I have ever met. Betsy was very lively and very experienced as a flight attendant. She had worked for Pan Am and United previously, and was now working for World Airlines. We spoke about family, work, where we were from, and about everything in between. Needless to say our conversation took a lot of time so I began helping her complete all of her duties.
We chuckled a little bit and then decided that I would run the pilot's side of the aircraft and she would do the other side. Anyway, I began taking care of my side of the plane, serving drinks, picking up trash, giving out hot towels, making sure seat belts were fastened, seat backs were forward and tray tables were stowed and locked position.
The experience was actually a little fun and everyone got a kick out of it. Many people commented that I had found my new calling in life, asked if I was considering and career change, or asked me if I was getting paid for my help. Not only was the event somewhat comical but it also burnt up the time remaining in the flight to Kuwait. After everyone was taken care of, I was the last one to sit down right before landing. When we had landed and come to the stopped position Betsy came over the intercom and thanked all the soldiers for their service and wished them well in their tours of duty. She was an outstanding person...I was very impressed. She then said that the crew wanted to thank and recognize the guest Flight Attendant, Dan. She then asked over the intercom "Dan, where are you?...Let someone know because we have a special gift for you." So I let them know that I was in Row 34 Seat H and she came and found me and gave me my own set of genuine wings from World Airlines. Everyone on the plane clapped as she pinned them on my shirt. It was a fun time, and a lot of people were tickled by it. It's always fun to help out. Both Brittney and I said that this happening reminded of college at BYU. We went to basketball game and I got the usher to let me wear his bright blue usher coat and usher people to their seats. We got a kick out of that experience too. I will attempt to include some photos of the event so you can all experience pure enjoyment and satisfaction.

10 comments:

Emmy said...

That sounds fun! Good job for making the most of the situation.

Lady said...

You are too funny!!! You would be the only one on that plane to do something like that - but that's why I love you. Opposites attract and I was always attracted to your fun, uninhibited and outgoing personality. You would always do and say things to people that I would never dare say. I am glad you cured your boredom and brought a smile to many soldiers face. Plus, I bet Miss Betsy will never forget you!!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! I'm glad you did something to make the flight easier/more enjoyable for yourself as well as for others. That was a great story!

B

Anonymous said...

I guess that even tops the K-Mart blue light special experience. You be the man Dan!!! We love and miss you.

Princess Gerty said...

I think I know how you feel Man. Especially when I am on vacation I get a little stir crazy and start looking for ways to serve. I am so glad you had the inhibition to make friends and get to work. I love you so much!

O family said...

How funny! I bet that it really was a fun experience for all involved. and congrats on earning your "wings"!

Shez Family said...

Curren said "Uncle Dan's cool!" Leave it to Dan to jump right in and help out! Those are some very memorable pics.
FYI: we changed our blog to make it more anonymous..
http://shezfamily1.blogspot.com/
Curren & Jamie

Anonymous said...

Wherever you are you seem to be able to make people happy. We love you Moms

Brielle said...

That is awesome Dan! It doesn't surprise me one bit. I bet that did make the flight go a lot faster. I agree with Brittney that Betsy will never forget you. You are always making people smile Dan.

April Kennedy said...

Dan, loved the great story...and I would love to be a guest flight attendant too and Dave would be trying to sit me back down quietly the whole time! Hope all goes well for you this tour...you and your family are in our prayers.
Dave and April Kennedy