Friday, October 24, 2008

Fossil Hunting

I know I am way behind in posts and I finally downloaded the newest pictures on my camera so maybe I'll have some time this weekend to get caught up.

I'll start with our Cub Scout field trip to a fossil pit.  Our stake organized a stake wide field trip to Swatara State Park on Saturday, October 11th.  Typically this geologist does this presentation for Cub Scouts on Sundays.  Our stake wanted a really good turn out since he was making an exception and doing it on a Saturday for us.  We had a good turn out - our ward had 4 carloads.  It was for families which was a good thing because I had to take my girls.  I also took two other scouts whose families couldn't make it, so I had a full car for an hour ride each way.

We listened to the presentation while we sat on this big mountain of sliding stones.  The geologists told us what to look for and how to break open the rocks to find fossils.  He told us about the different kinds of rocks, how fossils were formed,  and what a geologist does.   
Much to the parents chagrin the boys were climbing to the top of this hill.  The problem was that when they came sliding down it and were scraped and cut by all the falling rocks - they seemed surprised and angry that they were hurt.  Do they not realize that parents know what they're talking about?
Ainsley thought it was so fun.  She had a great time brushing her rocks clean with an old tooth brush.
Piper got in on it too.  She vacillated between brushing her rocks, trying to walk half way up the hill of sliding rocks and finding mud puddles.  She enjoyed it though. 
Mostly she just looked cute!
We found some great fossils.  Here's one  I found for Ainsley.  She cleaned it up for me.  You can see the worm thing on the left and a shell in the middle.
I had a good time too.  It was a long day but I enjoyed being outside in the countryside.  I look happy - right?

 The weather was perfect - low 70s and sunny.  In the beautiful rolling (mini) mountains with all the changing colors of the leaves.  It was gorgeous.  I feel so lucky to be so close to such beautiful places.  Chase and I tried to get a few pictures of the changing colors from the car on our drive home.  The pictures really don't do it justice.
MacGregor received his Geology belt loop at pack meeting last night. Yay!

5 comments:

MAN said...

The pictures are beautiful and so are my children and wife. I am glad you had a great time and learned so much. Love you lots, Man and Daddy

MAN said...

The pictures are beautiful and so are my children and wife. I am glad you had a great time and learned so much. Love you lots, Man and Daddy

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! That looks like a wonderful activity. I'm so glad you were all able to go. And way to go getting your beltloops, MacGregor! My Wolf Scouts love getting those things! Keep up the good work.

Plus, thinks for posting the gorgeous pics of the changing leaves...what a huge wave of nostalgia hit me as I saw them covering those rolling hills! Thank you.

B

Princess Gerty said...

Yeah, thanks for those pics--no matter what (whether just a snapshot out the car window), they are gorgeous to me. I really miss that scenery.

O family said...

This looks like so much fun! I love love love the picture of Piper up close. I bet she had a blast playing in the dirt and finding cool treasures!