Thursday, October 30, 2008

Applesauce

We made homemade applesauce 2 weeks ago.  We went to a big farmers market and found a half bushel of apples for under $9.  We used a mix of jonagolds (sweet) and stamen winesap (tart) apples. The best part was that my mom had had dinner with a friend the night before and when she found out we were making applesauce the next day she let us borrow her "Victorio Grinder".  We didn't have to peel or core the apples.  We just cut them in quarters and started cooking them in a little water.  We added a bit of sugar and let everything cook down. 
When it was cooked to mush, we poured the whole pot full of mush, peels, seeds etc in the funnel of the grinder.  We took turns turning the crank.
It was kinda rough in spots.  I think I better start working out!
As the mush runs through the grinder, the peels and seeds go one way and the sauce squeezes thru the holes and drips down the ramp into the pan.
Then we ladled the sauce into our jars and put them in a water bath.
Oh the smell was heavenly.  I couldn't get enough!!
Aren't they beautiful?  And sooo tasty!  It really wasn't so hard.  We made 19 pints.  Couldn't buy 19 jars of applesauce at the store for $10.  And oh the taste is unbeatable!   I need to have the confidence to do this when my mom isn't here.  And I think I definitely need a Victorio Grinder.

9 comments:

MAN said...

Definitely amazing. I can just imagine the smell, tasty and sweet. Again I must say that you are really awesome. Great Pics. There still is a problem with the lens because every picture still is overexposed in the middle. The applesauce looks yummy none the less. I can't wait to try it.
daniel

O family said...

This is so awesome. I am really impressed. I would love to be this "home-makey-ish". nice word huh?? Anyway, great job!

B said...

I love homemade applesauce! I don't know that I have the courage to make it without my mom, though! Looks so yummy...good job ladies!

Brielle said...

Man I am jealous. I feel like I can smell and taste it just by looking at the pictures. I love homemade applesauce. That machine looks pretty fancy and I be it saved a lot of time. I just love your faces in the pictures. I think you need to hang out with me a little more, I would teach you how to be strong so that you could grind that machine with no effort!!

Like Mike said...

Kitchenaid mixers have an attachment that does the same grinding/ separating. I also use it at my mom's house.....

Judi said...

It looks so yummy! I so wanted to can apple sauce this year but got burnt out from canning tomatoes. We love apple sauce here - my kids could probably eat two of those pints at one sitting!

Jim and Reenie said...

Wonderful day, wonderful memory for you and me. It is such a great feeling of accomplishment to see the finished goods. And they really are yummy. It was fun Britt.
Love, Mom

Princess Gerty said...

Those jars look so great with that nice tile work behind them too. (wasn't that Brock's work? Way to go!)

emlizalmo said...

I just love you and your mom.