Monday, October 22, 2007

Sparkly Shoes


Last Tuesday we went to the shoe store to buy Ainsley a bigger pair of tap shoes. Her shoes from last year were getting too tight. We went to Payless where they sell ballet and tap shoes and I realized they were having their BOGO sale. (Buy one get one half off) I also realized that it was October and the only pair of church shoes that Ainsley had was her white sandals. I thought this would be a great time to get a pair of winter church shoes (half off). So I picked out several black pair. The first two slipped on her heel. The last pair looked like it fit pretty well. BUT then she saw these. And they are Disney princess shoes and they SPARKLE. So I humored her and let her try them on. She walked proudly down the aisle exclaiming, "These don't slip, they don't slip" Then I tried to use logic - "Ainsley these won't match very many of your dresses." And then some divine intervention - ok maybe marketing intervention - but none the less, a worker was shelving shoes nearby. She told me that kid's shoes was her department. She used to LOVE it but now she HATED it. She said she has seen way too many little girls leave the store crying. She said she just wants to remind all those moms out there about when they were little girls - what kind of shoes would they have picked out? Sparkly ones probably. And you know what? - She's right! And then I got to thinking - If someone picked out everything I wore each day or whenever we went to the store, would I like that? And what if I liked something else? And I've seen a lot of moms that have to have their kids dressed just so. But what if their kid would feel so much prettier or so much more confident if they wore sparkly shoes instead of perfectly stylish adult looking stuff? If Ainsley feels beautiful in her sparkly shoes, then so what if she wears them with a blue dress or a peach one (the color dresses we have right now)? Maybe I need to buy dresses to match her much loved shoes instead of shoes to match the dresses. I'm not going to let what I think other people might think about me and how I dress my daughter affect how she feels about herself and what she feels beautiful in.

I will continue to try to teach my kids about matching. My boys love to dress mono chromatically especially in unmatching reds. I will insist they wear collared shirts for picture day at school and I WILL choose their clothes for family pictures. But that's where it stops. I will advise but they will choose. And so Ainsley chose these hot pink sparkly shoes and she has proudly worn them to school and church. (Incidentally, her sneakers she picked for school this year are also bright pink and glittery) She feels beautiful and her spirit is bright.

9 comments:

Brielle said...

you are a good mom Britt, kamden picked out those same shoes and payless and we did not come home with them. I think I will be in big trouble when kamden sees ainsleys shoes. It is true what you are saying. I am not sure why it does matter to me so much and maybe I do need to get over it. I think I am just little by little.

Anonymous said...

There are two sides to every story. When Brinn looks at pictures of herself when she was little she says, "Mom, why would you let me wear something like that?" I tell her she picked it out and liked it at the time. (:
Ainsley won't be little very long, enjoy the fun of her tastes in shoes and other things.

Christine said...

Good reminder about what is really important - I'm glad she loves her shoes!

Anonymous said...

I love the shoes and am going to get a pair for myself. I'm tired of Mamaw buying all my shoes! Look out world Papaw's on a Pink shoe Parade.
You go Ainsley

O family said...

hehehe, this is so cute. I agree with you about letting kids dress themselves, when it isn't an important function or picture day. I LOVE how excited Ainsley is in the picture of her with the shoes on. very cute

Anonymous said...

she's got great taste!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about the sparkly shoes. I have to bite my tongue sometimes when the girls come to breakfast in the morning. I often say "I wouldn't have put those together" - :)

Grace and Camille have both owned sparkly shoes :) at about the same age as Ainsley!

You are a great mom! Judi :)

Princess Gerty said...

Aunah did the same thing this year with red sparkly shoes. I ended up buying her black ones and the red ones because they were really on sale. She has worn them with some pretty crazy outfits, but we have also found a lot of red things to wear. And of course she feels so lovely in them. I love your post. I might want to put it in my successful mom's website.

Boss said...

I love these shoes almost as much as I love this story. Thanks so much for sharing it!