Friday, October 12, 2007

Honk Honk

Our school district starts band and stringed instruments in 4th grade so Chase had the chance to pick an instrument this month. He chose a horn - but it does NOT say "honk honk" it says "Baaarrruuummp-ump-ump-ump-ump" or it can say "Bah-rah-rump". Chase joined the ranks with his Papaw, uncle Brian (for a few years), cousin Brent and his mother's cousin Rich when he chose the TROMBONE.

He came home after the initial demonstration saying he wanted to play the trumpet, trombone or the clarinet. Each day I asked him if he had narrowed it down because of course he couldn't play all three. Each day he'd say he still didn't know. I didn't exert any pressure in any specific direction because I wanted him to choose what HE wanted to play. Chase came with me to the parents meeting where we had to hand in a slip with his first 3 choices on it ... in order. So I asked again - "What's your first choice Chase?" He replied "the trombone." (I think my Dad was secretly thrilled) Because there aren't many kids that sign up for trombone he was immediately granted his first choice. Of all the 4th and 5th grade students (about 200 kids) in Chase's elementary school, only 3 (including Chase) play the trombone.

He had his first 2 lessons this week and has been so excited to show us what he has learned. He has been excited to practice too. I bought the beginning saxophone book when I bought Chase's trombone book. Since both books are from the same series they have the same songs and exercises (so all instruments can practice together). I thought it would be good motivation for Chase to practice if he can do it with me and hopefully some of the learning I gained from 4 years on the sax will come back. Time will tell.

7 comments:

O family said...

Yay the TROMBONE!!! I bet Uncle Jim was thrilled!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes Papaw is a proud papaw! Chase looks so old where has the time gone?
mamaw

Brielle said...

I can't believe Chase is old enough to be playing in the band. I remember how excited I was when I started playing the trumpet. I am glad you went with a brass instrument Chase. Can't wait to hear you play.

Anonymous said...

Very good embouchure Chase!
Hand position seems to be right on as well. I hope you sound as good as you look! can't wait to hear you
PaPaw

Princess Gerty said...

Wow! He does look so old! I am so excited for him! I always wanted to play the trombone, but they said my arms were too short. Boo hoo.

Anonymous said...

Lookin' really good. You sound good too. Very Proud I am.
Daddy....Man

Anonymous said...

Hey this is Kaley! I play in band too! I am in 7th grade and I love band! I play the flute. It is realy fun! Well hope you continue Chase!!!!

Kaley Smith