Monday, June 30, 2008

Working with Papaw

Daniel went on a high adventure trip with some of the older scouts at church from June 12-14. We decided we'd spend the night with Mamaw and Papaw on Friday the 13th. We haven't been able to spend the night up there in a really long time because of school and baseball games/practices.

After dinner my Dad asked the kids if they wanted to help wash the car (my van) This is something that we did all the time growing up. The big bucket of bubbles, the wooly wash mitt, the hose with the spray gun, the drying shammy . . . oh the memories. We actually used to wash the car quite a bit in Iowa and Oklahoma but since we moved here we haven't washed the cars at home. We have a very steep driveway and it would be nearly impossible. So either we go to a drive -thru or we go extended periods of time with a dirty car, which was the case here. Ainsley and Piper have never had the "car wash" experience.

The kids loved it. I was worried that they were going to get my Dad soaked, which I knew he somehow would NOT find funny. They all worked hard though and kept the soaking to a minimum.

Did you notice that you didn't see any pictures of MacGregor working? I think that's because he was having to much fun "playing like a boy" with the hose. What do you think?

After the car wash, we spent some time playing with a butterfly (see post), we also got to see some baby mocking birds that had hatched earlier in the day. They were so tiny and cute. Then we spent some time playing baseball in the back yard. Chase and I were hitting the ball to each other while each of used our own bat. I would throw it up and crack it out to him with the bat and then he would return it by doing the same thing with his bat. I had a wooden bat and Chase was using an aluminum one. My dad had been working with MacGregor on pitching but when they were finished he walked up to Chase and I and said, "Let me crack one past the trees for Chase" I handed over the bat and my father threw it up and swung. He topped it so it only went 6 or 8 feet. He said, "Well that was a dud, let's try again". This time he threw the ball up and missed completely. I laughed a little because I had expected it to SOAR the first time and again the second time. He felt a little silly but picked up the ball again and gave it another go. Again he missed. He continued to rotate between "duds" and complete misses and each time I laughed harder. I continued laughing until my sides ached!! He was laughing too but after each time he became MORE determined that next time would be the one. He told me, "Now it's a pride thing!" Finally after 10 or 12 attempts - He gave one a ride past the tops of the trees. He was able to send several others out there too. But gosh it was fun getting to that point!! What's up Dad? You gettin old or something? :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evidently

The truth really hurts

Papaw

Anonymous said...

That was a fun evening. The kids really had fun. Piper loved the water and was just trying to figure the whole thing out. Love those kids. Love, Mamaw

Brielle said...

Man, I remember the memories too. I am so jealous it sounds like you guys had a awesome time. Perfect summer get together. That story about dad hitting the ball made me laugh so hard, I am sure I would of laughed harder if I were there. At least he got it and didn't give up. YOU GO DAD!

emlizalmo said...

Look at that man out cleaning the car in his dressy casuals. What a champ. Sorry about the hit and miss thing pal...wish I could have witnessed that! I still think you are awesome.

Christine said...

I haven't cleaned a car that way in years (lots of apartment parking lot regulations). Good memories. I'm glad the kids enjoyed it!

O family said...

this is so cute. I love seeing men (Dads, Uncles, Grandpas) and kids together. I laughed out loud with the ball story. AHHH so funny. Love you Uncle Jim!!

Anonymous said...

the kids look like they are having a lot of fun. I am surprised dad didn't get more wet... funny funny story about dad. i wish I could have been there!!! Piper is so cute playing in the bucket.

April Kennedy said...

Jim VonStetten is the only man I know that washes a car in his slacks, polo shirt and dress shoes! It didn't surprise me at all. Brittany and Dan...your kids are gorgeous...Kaia will be turning 11 in a few weeks and she now wears my flip flops all the time. I can't believe we were the same shoe size too! I found you off of Brielle's blog...I am so happy to be able to keep in touch.
Love, April Kennedy