Thursday, June 19, 2008

Recitals come and gone


I am so behind on posting. I am trying to catch up though.

May 28th the boys had their first piano recital. It was very laid back and comfortable. There were 10 children and one adult (my VT Penny who has just begun piano - her youngest child is 22. I am so proud of her) that each played one song. Most were beginners. The boys have officially been playing 1 year now. Although we did take 6 weeks off - the whole month of May and first two weeks of June - because baseball didn't allow for us to practice often and many game days coincided with piano lessons. Our teacher was awesome for being so flexible. Her thing is that she really wants the kids to enjoy it - if they are too over scheduled and hate practicing because they don't have any time for anything else - then they'll start to hate it so she said it's better to take a break. So we did.


They did keep practicing their recital songs through out May and both did a very nice job on their songs. Chase played "The Entertainer" and MacGregor "You're a Grand Ole Flag". MacGregor had his piece memorized but when he arrived and all the other kids used their music - he decided he'd use his too.

We did video but the battery ran out after MacGregor but before Chase. So we had Chase do another run through after the recital while everyone was having refreshments so we could get a video. I think he actually did better during the real recital. I still don't know how to do videos on here but someday I will and then you could hear their pieces too.

Ainsley had her dance recital too. It was a long program but her class did as good of a job as 3-6yr olds can do. They looked adorable too. Ainsley was really testing me though because with the lights out they brought out the whole class and put them on their little tape markers. There are 12 girls in her class. I knew she was 3rd from the left so I knew it was her that was lying down on stage and running over to the other little girls and circling them and laying down again. All of this going on with the lights out and you could just see this little shadow dancing all around while the other 11 shadows stood absolutely still in a perfect line. It took all my self control not to start yelling and running up there to discipline her. Luckily when the lights came on she smiled and got right back to her spot and danced her whole routine. So Miss Ainsley - are these the things you do when you think no one is watching? You bet I'll be keeping my eye on you!!

2 comments:

Brielle said...

I was laughing about the story with Ainsley. She cracks me up, I have a feeling my Aspen might be like that! The best was how you wrote it, is this what she does when no one is looking. Too funny. Also the boys look so old in their piano pictures. I wish I could be closer so I could go and see or listen to there activities they are in. Sometimes it is really hard to be so far away.

Princess Gerty said...

I laughed too about Ainsley's antics. What a cute girl. I am so proud of those boys too. What impressive numbers to play after only one year!