Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Shants



Daniel has always loved shants. In fact he was wearing them when I met him on our first date (blind date). They were ones his mother made him for Christmas. Flannel... blue and orange plaid... calf length. I was a little confused by them but he told me that they were shants and that his mother made them and well ... that cleared it up....hmmmm. In fact on that first date at the ice cream place some people at another table were looking at us. Daniel got up and walked over to their table and modeled his shants explaining to them the same thing he had said to me.

He then graduated to some real ghetto/rapper shants. They were cranberry denim and at least two of me could fit in each leg. And Yes - he did wear these quite a bit. He'd wear them when we went roller skating and surprisingly he didn't really look out of place. He fit right in with the guys with the fat wheels and fat laces that do all kinds of tricky steps while leaning back in a sitting position.

We've had a vacation from Shants for quite a few years but when at TJ Max this past week searching for something to wear to the annual charity golf event - how could he pass them up? The tempation was too great. We've now graduated to "GOLF SHANTS". He was so excited he asked me if I wanted to see his new clothes... (he NEVER does that) at 12:30 AM!!! So he got dressed in this here outfit. Yes - I was a little surprised at the ensemble. I smiled and asked him what color was that shirt? Hot Pink? He laughed a little and said, "NO, Hot PRED" But it was an authentic Tiger Woods brand so it had to be ok. I told him the shants reminded me of koolats (how do you spell that word?) . He wasn't sure what that was - but I'm sure all my 80s girlfriends remember them. I asked him if he was afraid anyone would make fun of him and he said he couldn't wait to hear what people had to say.

That's my hubby. He has a style all his own and people are attracted to him (I know you're thinking because of his utmost sense of style but no..) because of his confident and playful personality. He's not afraid to be himself and he's not afraid of what others think. This is what draws people to him. It's what drew me to him.

10 comments:

O family said...

This is SO funny and cute. I can completely understand where you are coming from. Even though Dan doesn't wear SHANTS(yet), he does LOVE plaid shorts... Any color/type will do, he just pairs everything with a black shirt. I love the pictures of you Dan, how cute!

Anonymous said...

U B 1 hot dudette homey

But I'm afraid that if you wear that outfit at the cabin, the 'boys' might come a-callin'

Papaw

Boss said...

It took me a minute to figure out why they're called "shants." At first I thought it had to do with you telling Dan "you shant wear those!". But then I figured it out. Ya'll are cute!

I'm a fan of shants myself, usually in the capri variety. But any kind will do (even culottes.)

Judi said...

Dan can get away with that outfit! It just suits him! :)

O family said...

Uncle Jim~ You made me laugh out loud!! hahah

Brielle said...

Love it! I have been waiting to see these pictures. But you are right Dan can pull it off. I loved Dads comment too. Its the white belt that gets me. What were some of the comments he got? Any good ones? You are right when you say Dan is not scared to be himself. That is why we love him. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! One hot dude! Yes, you gotta love our Dan, he is one of a kind and also, loves those blue light specials. ( : hahaha
Mom

Princess Gerty said...

I love it! My husband laughs about the "Henrichsen shorts" but also complains that he doesn't have any! We all need a little more of that fashion self-confidence! Or is it fashion indifference?

emlizalmo said...

Oh my gosh...this is hilarious! Koolots! :) What the crap does shants mean? OK...so shorts-pants, but who came up with the term? Dan, you are too cool...peace out, I'm bouncin', yo!

emlizalmo said...

Oh and by the way cool dude...that shirt is pink. :)