Sunday, November 05, 2006

Pillowcase or Sleeping Bag?


You would think that if the military called you up and sent you somewhere distant for months at a time, there would be certain items that would be issued to you or at least available for use. For example, a towel and washcloth. I thought it would run like a hotel or dormitory service. You use a towel and then put it in a laundry bin and next time you shower you pick up another clean towel. Well that's not how it works. When Daniel arrived in El Paso, TX for his training, there were showers but no towels or washcloths (and I am almost certain those items were not on any packing list we were given). Luckily his roommate had an extra that he borrowed until he was given time to shop at the PX (base store) where he purchased his own.

Now in Kuwait and Iraq - he's been given bedding (thank goodness). Ok - not exactly bedding we're used to. He was issued a sleeping bag. But no pillow. He luckily met a soldier who was just about to return home and this soldier gave Daniel his old pillow. But of course there wasn't a case, or pillowslip as Daniel refers to it. So being the resourceful person that he is - he used an old scrubtop as a pillowslip. I was feeling bad for him so the kids and I went and picked up some "November" fabric with turkeys all over it and I made him a real pillowcase. He received it this last week and was thrilled. He said it's a perfect fit! I'm not sure what Ainlsey thought it was at first because when I was done making it she asked to get inside it. I think she might have thought that it was a miniture sleeping bag.

6 comments:

Trick said...

Our three year old also enjoys anything resembling a sleeping bag. He has called them bag pipes, though. It's cute. I am glad Ainsley loves the same stuff.

Taffy said...

So cute! I think kids just like to crawl inside anything that seems to be their size. Also, I'm glad Daniel has a pillowslip now. good work Lady!

Anonymous said...

Pretty girl is a nut. It is a shame the rest of the family isn't dramatic.:) We miss you guys! Jemely

Man said...

The most recent pictures of m Princess are outstanding! I really like the Turkey Sack and the one with the Kitchen Glove socks. She's a trip! Lots of smilles generated on my face. XXXOOO

Pooka said...

I'm sure glad you're taking pictures of her and all her creative ways, because someday you'll need pictures to prove that all this imaginativity was all rolled up in ONE PERSON!!

Anonymous said...

Aren't you exhausted? I can't believe you are still out running errands! By this point, I hardly left the couch. It was too uncomfortable. Dan must really appreciate and love you. He scored marrying you! AS