Monday, November 20, 2006

Hello from Iraq



My wonderful partner Lady made a suggestion that is certifiably true. "Why don't you write a blog and update everyone with what you are doing and how everything is going? There are a lot of people who are really interested in you." So, here goes. I have been pretty busy recently in the operating room with cases that range from repair of injuries to ears, noses and eyes to localized infections of the throat and tonsils. Most recently I have seen three perforated eyes. These unfortunate individuals have to be transferred to another hospital to see an opthamologist because I do not have the expertise in Globe (eye) injuries. On the other hand, if there is a problem with orbit (eye socket) or the soft tissues of the face, that is my expertise. I recently had a patient from which I had to remove a large piece of shrapnel from underneath his eyeball. He recovered very well with out incident. Some of this may be graphic for some of you, but I think it's important for you to know and understand the nature of the things that I am doing and to realize that people get hurt, suffer and sometimes pass away in war. I am very proud to have been trained in the medical arts and to have knowledge and hopefully wisdom for the benefit of my fellowman. I am also proud to be able to represent my country, family and practice here in Iraq. I have been very fortunate during my short stay here in that I have been blessed with growth on many fronts (physically, emotionally, and spiritually). My love and appreciation for my beautiful and supportive wife has deepened greatly. She is unbelievably tough and inspirational. Lady, I adore you, and want you to know that I think of you and pray for your well being constantly. I also need to thank all of you for your prayers for protection. I can honestly say that I feel the protective powers of our Lord surrounding me and keeping me safe. I am filled with grattitude for the great fortune that I have experienced because of the wonderful people who are in my life. My family, partners, friends and associates have all been so good to me and have shaped and directed my life for good in ways that I could never have done on my own. As I close this short update, please continue to pray for the safety of those sevring our great country and please pray for the people of Iraq that they can assume responsability for their country and want it to become a safe place again. Please lend a helping hand to anyone in need wherever you find yourself. YOU can be a great influence for good with very small efforts to help others. I love and appreciate all of you! See you soon!

5 comments:

Taffy said...

Thank you for the update. You are sucha wonderful example to all of us. We are so proud of you. We think and pray for you always!

Lady said...

Thank you Honey for creating this post. I know if means more to others to hear directly from you. We are all glad that your training has enabled you to help others and serve our nation well. We all, but I especially, look forward to your homecoming!

Mark said...

Thank you Man and thank you Lady. I am glad to know you and priviledged to live in this country you are serving.

Anonymous said...

Dan,
Thanks for the update. The world is a confusing place right now and you're certainly in an area of concern...want you home as soon as Uncle Sam will allow. Keep your head down! We're proud of what you are doing. Our men and women are grateful I'm sure. Rest assured we are looking after your family. I'll be watching your kids tomorrow while Reenie stands in for you during Piper's grand entrance...gave your Lady a PH blessing. She'll be fine...she's very strong, nervous, lonely, anxious to have the baby and missing you 'mucho'
God speed,
Papaw

Trick said...

Man, I am so proud of you and am so grateful to know you feel the power of our prayers. My son is so proud of you and how you are "helping the army guys in Iraq" We love you