Saturday, January 03, 2009

So Blessed

For those of you who don't know .... Daniel surprised everyone and got home 2 weeks early. He had been telling me since the middle of November that he was going to see if they would let him come home in time for Christmas. I took his declaration with a grain of salt because he had made requests in the past, such as coming home for Piper's birth or being granted a week's leave for a board review course in the States, and the Army had never granted these requests.

As time moved on though he told me that Commander Shen was considering it. About 2 weeks prior to Christmas he told me that he would be coming home but we decided NOT to tell anyone. 6 days before Christmas he told me there had been some errors in paperwork and that it did not look like he would get out in time... I was very glad I hadn't told anyone or disappointed the children. It was Friday night or Saturday morning when he informed me that he had made it to Kuwait in time to get out on the last flight to the States before Christmas. I felt so lucky. I didn't know until Monday afternoon - (Dec 22) that he would be arriving at 6pm on Tues the 23rd.

The kids didn't know where we were going because we had been out running errands... by the time we got to the airport they were asking questions. I told them that someone had called the day before and asked if we could pick them up at the airport, that they were coming in for Christmas. So I told them that they should keep their eye out for someone familiar. They were happily surprised when they saw Daddy. In fact Piper did not want to be put down even for Daniel to grab his bags off the conveyor belt and she cried when we had to put her back in the stroller to go to the car.

We had an awful lot of fun surprising people. Daniel answered the door when Em and J arrived and when my aunt came Christmas morning. We had fun surprising people at his work and my family when we called my parents and sisters using the web cams Christmas morning. (I received a new camera for Christmas but can't seem to upload the pictures, so more pics coming later) Daniel's parents and brother arrived the day after Christmas so we've been busy visiting all week.
I am especially grateful that Daniel made it home safe. Two days after Christmas Daniel received an email from one of the doctors in his unit (the rest of his unit is due to be leaving Kuwait today). He informed us that a surgeon was killed on Christmas Day in a mortar attack at the base in Mosul, this was the base where Daniel served in 2006. It is in the middle of the city and receives mortar fire on a regular basis. I was grateful that Al Asad, where Daniel was stationed this tour was a much safer base. This surgeon was on his second tour as well, served his first in 2006 - just like Daniel. He was a top trauma surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital (so close to where we live). He had kids very close to the same ages we do 10, 8, and 4. My heart aches for this good man and his family. You can read more here:

Also injured in the blast was Col. Shen (seen here at right) who was the commander instrumental in Daniel's early return. He was visiting the hospital in Mosul and received extensive shrapnel injuries to the lower legs. He is recuperating in Germany. I am reminded of how dangerous these tours can be and am so grateful that Daniel returned home safely.

12 comments:

Wendy said...

This post hits hard to my heart! My husband is leaving tomorrow to go on his delpoyment! He has already served one tour over there and was actually on the same base as Daniel. I know, and can feel that excitement of having him come back... but I can also relate to the worry while he was gone. I am so happy to see he got home safely and always keep all of the deployed troops (and their families) in my prayers!

Judi said...

What a fun post to read. I've been checking in on your blog frequently to see how things have been for you over the holidays and when I would see no posts I began to worry! But now I see why you hadn't posted and how happy I am for you and Dan and for his safe return.

Happy New Year my friend!

Diane Arnett Gardiner said...

I love checking in on you! This blogging this is TOO GOOD. So glad to hear that Daniel is home safe. You are an amazing couple! (I don't however, know how you could keep his return a secret! Amazing self restraint!) You sure keep my life in perspective. By the way, and totally unrelated, I got a Christmas card/baby announcement form teresa Gheret Biggerstaff. Finally a gorgeous baby girl!

Wendy said...

I'm so happy for you all! Happy New Year!

We are grateful for Dan's service and sacrifice and for that of the other military families.

Anonymous said...

I was so happy to hear from Daniel, both while he was in Iraq and when he came home. I admire the energy and focus he has in whatever he is doing and and I know that he is worthy of the trust that so many people have in him. What a great Dad, husband, brother, son, surgeon, and soldier.

As I was taking down our Christmas decorations, I heard a report on NPR about an army surgeon from Philadelphia who passed away in Iraq. I wondered if Daiel had worked with him or knew of him. NPR had interviewed him about being a surgeon in Iraq and inter-city Philadelphia. I gained a greater appreciation for his service and for Daniel's as I listened. It sounds like Dr. Prior lived and served well. He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT Christmas surprise! I'm glad he made it home safely and was able to be with the family for the holidays! It's good timing with his family in town too :o)

I missed you guys and love you lots! Am counting down till we see you in April... save the date for us and we plan on staying in your new lovely refinished basement.

Good news- Kent won the contest at work and gets a free plan ticket when he purchases on so we only have to buy one ticket to visit!!

Ree said...

So glad to hear Man in home safe and sound, and an extra blesssing and Christmas time. Thank you for your service, Daniel.

Princess Gerty said...

We are so proud of you Man! I am so GRATEFUL to God for your safe return! We love you so much.

Boss said...

What a great surprise! Welcome home, Man! I'm very sorry to hear about the injuries that hit so close to "home," and I'm so glad you're safe and sound.

emlizalmo said...

This is the BEST news of the year! I am so grateful that he is safely home...and in time for Christmas. I am so very happy for you guys. What an amazing experience that airport surprise must have been for your kids. A memory they will have for the rest of their lives!!! Love you.

Jim and Reenie said...

Great blog Britt. We are also happy Dan is home safe and sound and that we know he's back taking care of you and the kids. Our prayers are with the Prior family and with Col. Shen and his family. Truly giving people to give the gift of self. God bless the men and women of the military who serve on our behalf.
Love, Mom

B said...

Wow! What a range of emotion in this post Lady! Tears of joy and tears of grief. While I didn't know Maj JP, how heartbreaking for his family, friends and colleagues. My prayers are with them and with the Col Shen. Have you heard any news on his recovery?

It was so wonderful to talk to Man after he got home, and I'm glad you could all spend the holidays together!