Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Christmas Wreaths

Yes it's January 13th and Yes, we made Christmas wreaths last night for FHE.  Our sweet neighbor in Oklahoma used to make these for us every Christmas.  This year I was really missing them so I called her and got the recipe.  I had intended on making them the Sunday before Christmas but we made Peanut Blossoms instead.  Then Dan came home early, Christmas and company and it just got away from me.  We still had all the ingredients so we gave it a shot last night.  We all loved them and I think it might be put on the annual "Christmas must have" list.
Marshmallow, butter, green food coloring and cornflakes
Piper liked eating red hots the most.
Lots of butter rubbed onto wax paper and fingers dipped into the butter.
Piper kept wanting to dip her fingers in the butter bowl.  She would say, "Please pass the soup!"
You needed a little icing to make the red hots stick.  The one thing I forgot was green icing in a tube, but don't worry - we had purple.  We tried to hide it well.  The icing was soooo hard to squeeze out of the tube.  Maybe it had been in the cabinet too long.

Ainsley is saying - "Here Piper - I tried these red hots but they are WAY to hot for me - you can have mine"
See my red hots?  I LOVE THEM!!
Pretty cute final result - huh?

**PS - notice the girls were wearing their Eagles outfits (so were Daniel and Chase who unfortunately didn't make it into any of our pictures) in honor of the BIG win on Sunday!!!  "Fly Eagles Fly"

5 comments:

Jim and Reenie said...

It's a shame MacGregor doesn't like to have his picture taken. (:
He is too funny. What a neat idea. The little one and the red hot candy I can't believe. Brinn couldn't eat them when she was 14. Looks like everyone had a nice time. Was the receipe from Carolyn?
Love you all, Mom/Mamaw

Peanut said...

It's been years since I've even thought of these wreaths--I love them! I might need that recipe.

Christine said...

Ooooh, could you post the recipe? That sounds like a great idea for a fun family tradition.

Judi said...

Whose to say you can't make wreaths in January! :) I'm so so glad your family is back together now!

emlizalmo said...

Who cares if it's June? Christmas wreaths are always in fashion! :) Mmmm...yummy, yellow, greasy soup!