Saturday, November 08, 2008

TROUBLE!!!!

This girl is Trouble with a Capital T!!!!

Markers and Lipstick are her vice.

These pictures were taken this summer.  My good friend lives across the street from her neighborhood playground.  We were sitting in the grass in her yard.  The girls were playing at the playground just across the street.  Piper was sitting for the longest time on the sidewalk with her back to us playing with something.  I thought she was digging in the mulch.  Ainsley needed to go the bathroom and I didn't want to leave Piper outside by herself so I walked across the street and this is what I found:
Someone had left a little girl's purse (probably a 7 or 8 yr old's) on the sidewalk.  Inside were little containers full of play makeup.  The thick waxy kind that doesn't wash off easily with water.

This next picture was taken just after Dan left.  Ainsley had been watching TV in my room.  Piper went in to join her.  I must have been doing something in the basement because Ainsley came running frantically to find me.  She told me that Piper put lipstick on her face.  It was all over her face, hands and my carpet.  Luckily our can of 'SpotShot' got it out pretty well.  The lipstick was trashed and Piper has been banned from my room and my bathroom except for certain punishment occasions - **see further down the post.
We do not allow markers down anymore.  We keep them in containers that are immediately put up after use.  This was a few weeks ago - before we had the marker rule.  Ainsley is always drawing and therefore leaving her markers/crayons/colored pencils unattended.  Piper is always borrowing them to draw on her self or the walls or the freshly painted french doors or her big brother's homework (that they should be putting away when they are finished but alas they often leave it on the kitchen table).
We were getting ready to go somewhere when I found her like this.  She had been wearing a skirt or shorts.  We quickly found pants to hide this mess.  Didn't want the public to know what a bad mother I was. - (this has happened many times - I only managed to get it on film a few)
And here is our latest.  I told Daniel that I will never exercise again.  I hardly ever do - I don't really enjoy it but I had 30 mins before dinner the other night and of that 30 min.,  15 of them had not been spoken for.  So Ainsley was drawing with the strict instruction to clean up after herself, Piper had been whiny so I put her in front of Elmo in the living room, MacGregor was practicing the piano, and Chase doing homework.  I ran down to the basement for 15 mins on the eliptical before I had to make a salad for dinner.  A few mins later, MacGregor joined me.  I told him that maybe he wanted to bring down the baby - he said no, she was watching Elmo.  A few mins later after that Ainsley came down the stairs looking for someone to play candy land.  MacGregor agreed to play.  I never even thought of asking Ainlsey if she had cleaned up.  I finished on the eliptical - my mom had just walked thru the door from being gone all day - she came down to the basement.  My dad had been working on his computer, he walked down the basement steps with a smirk on his face.  I thought he had overheard me telling a funny story about him to my mother but then he rounded the corner with THIS:
I was going to crop this picture but I think my face is important.  I am so tired of this girl and her colored face/body.   She is my extreme child.  She is an extremely good sleeper.  Goes down without a fight.  Loves her bed - requires no complicated routine.  Put her in bed, cover her up, turn off the light, shut the door.  We never hear a peep.  But when she's awake -  watch out world.  You need to have your eyes on her at all times.

My mom ended up making the salad and I took Piper to my bathroom and put her in the shower.  She DOES NOT enjoy the shower.  I scrubbed and scrubbed the washable (haha) marker from her face and hands.  The face came off reasonably well - just left a pale shadow.  The hands were still quite dark.  It is fading but it still offers us a constant reminder to keep the markers high.

So Daniel - I think I'm done exercising - it just isn't worth it!

13 comments:

Like Mike said...

I don't know of a parent without this experiance. Be glad she does not have a helper/ additional canvas/ twin to join in the fun :)

I remember how proud Jacob was of the smiley face he drew on Joseph's belly. (Joseph was also proud.)

Diane Arnett Gardiner said...

I've gotta say...I've worn that face quite a few times myself! Hang in there. If it helps...to an outsider?...it's pretty dang funny!

Judi said...

Maybe it is something about child number 4? I think Gabe is the reason I may be done having children :).

They are funny pictures though and made me chuckle - probably because I can relate :).

She is sure cute though!

Jim and Reenie said...

I have to say, when I found her coloring her face in absolute silence I could not keep a straight face at all...and she was soooo proud!
Good luck Brit! Send us pictures

Dad

MAN said...

She is the cutest little thing, and she sure has the knack for mischief. Maybe that's why she always makes me laugh and chuckle. At least she has the power to make you feel many emotions, even if they are roller coaster-like. Hang in there and cherish those memories because it won't be too long until you can laugh about them too. Love you Lady!

Princess Gerty said...

OH lady I love it! I love seeing your face because I have had that same face many times myself. I am so glad you got a photo. I did the same thing the other day--Hammy had drawn all over his legs right before we had to leave for church and I was so glad I could put pants on him and act like I was a "normal mom." But hey, I guess we all are normal!!

The Gang said...

Oh my goodness! That was totally priceless in more ways than one!

O family said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that girl and these pictures! Oh Britt, she is so cute with the marker on her face. I must admit that I would be so ticked if it was Quinn. We don't have any older kids so therefore no real markers in the house. But she has taken her crayons to the couch, the walls, the fridge.. you name it.
Also, even though I know that you are mad in the pictures, you look really pretty. I guess I might not have ever seen a "stern" face from you before.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hear ya about the "washable" markers not coming off so well. Sweetsa likes the reds and magenta colors...real great when doctors visits are the next day! She was literally covered from neck to panties (st least she kept those on!) I'm glad we all have had these moments. I feel your frustration, but it is pretty funny from the outside!

B

amandajonalissa said...

This post totally makes my day. I laughed out loud with every picture. She is a GEM.

Amy said...

She is AWESOME. That was pretty darn hilarious. How can you not look at her face and laugh? She has the biggest smile! She is so proud. This is why I have always been a crazy mom - the markers never get left down.

jennis said...

Thanks for the laughs (even though it wasn't funny to you at the time)! The pictures are priceless. I do understand that fine line between frustrating and funny. Today Q snipped the bills that were on my desk waiting to be paid into little pieces with kendra's deco-scissors, then ate some ice cream under the kitchen table and left it there to melt.

Jim and Reenie said...

She was born smiling and she has continued to make all of us smile whenever we look at her. What a priceless little one. I love her great big smile and she is really happy most all the time. Miss you guys. L. Mamaw