Monday, September 25, 2006

We Were JAMMIN!

I have never made jam myself. I remember watching as a young girl as my mother made it, but I have never been an active participant. This season has been an exceptional peach season around here. There is a local farm that I have been frequenting. You can get their 2nds (very ripe - eat within 3 days) for a discounted price. They are incredible! SOOOO Sweet and Juicy. The kids and I would devour them several times a day. I was going in and getting a 1/2 peck once or twice a week. I dried a big basket of them - yeilding a sandwich size ziploc. Of course they were eaten quickly - a great snack though.

Well my mom said to me - Let's make peach jam. I was all up for learning something new and it was nice to have some company for a day. So last Wednesday my mom and sister, Brinn, came over and we turned this:

Into this:


I was glad to learn how to make it - not really that hard, but I don't think I would ever do it on my own. We had a nice assembly line going and I couldn't imagine having to do all the steps by myself. I think I would gather at least 2 to 3 people and split the cost of ingredients and end product. That's what we did. We each paid about $11.60 for the ingredients and ended up with 12 jars of jam each. You certainly couldn't get jam for less than a $1.00 a jar at the store nor the homemade taste. I told me mom - next up - I want to do applesauce!

The kids and I have been eating peach jam on everything! Toast, rolls, biscuits, pancakes, bread. Chase even dropped some in his homemade chicken noodle soup and told me, "You many want to add a half a jar to your next batch of soup, this is really good!" I told him. "We'll leave that up to the individual to add it to their own bowl if that's their fancy." Crazy Kid!

We had about 20 peaches left over and my mom and sister didn't want to take any home so the peaches sat at my house. The kids and I ate some but they were getting mighty ripe between Wednesday and Friday. So as I was loading my van to go to my parents for the weekend, I noticed our electric ice cream maker sitting on a shelf in the garage and I had a great idea to use up those extra 20 peaches. We loaded everything in the car and made homemade peach ice cream on Saturday at my parents. It was sooooo good! I decided when I finally get a freezer for my basement - hopefully before next summer, I will puree lots of bags of peaches to use in smoothies and homemade ice cream. It was a fun treat and not too hard. It would be a fun thing to make when you have people over for games or dinner. What I really need now is my own peach tree!

Let's just have one more look:


Aren't they pretty?

7 comments:

B said...

I love the satisfaction of seeing the literal fruits of my labor sitting in beautiful jars on the counter. And the taste of the things we can/preserve makes all the hard work worth it! My family won't eat commercial jam, only the homemade stuff! So I know I have that task ahead of me every year. Congratulations on your productive day! ANd you made my mouth water, descibing the ice cream. Yum!
Applesauce is next on my canning agenda...probably in a week or two (luckily the apples don't ripen as fast and furious as the peaches!)

Man said...

Looks like you've been hard at work, I really admire you. Save some for me!

Taffy said...

That looks great! there is nothing quite as good as homemade jam! Yummy!

Peanut said...

Mmmm. Just this morning I finished of the jar of homemade peach jam that my home teacher and his wife brought me. And as I was scraping the last bits from the jar I wished I had another couple jars--it was so yummy! Maybe I'll have to make my own.

Boss said...

Looks good enough to eat! I hope Chase doesn't get too creative finding ways to eat it, so that there will still be some left for Man when he gets home!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous actually! I am so proud of you! My mouth is watering right now. Yum, yum, yum! We have some good peaches here too, but I can almost taste yours, and they're a lot better! AS

Trick said...

Yes I agree peach jam is not only tasty but also beautiful. We are almost out of strawberry jam and I was just wishing strawberries were on sale...