Sunday, September 24, 2006

Shhhhhhh..... It's a secret!

I was going to let you all know what I knew from Daniel this weekend which wasn't much. It was nice to know that Daniel made it to Germany because as of Friday he couldn't tell me anything other than he was leaving that night. He couldn't discuss his itenerary at all. I wasn't allowed to know what time his flight left, from where to where, or if it was a commercial flight or military flight. He called me about 11:30pm on Friday night saying he was on a bus headed to AN airport. I thought that would be the last time I spoke to him for a week or so - until he got settled in Iraq. But he called 6:30am on Saturday (waking my parents because we were staying with them). He said he just wanted to talk to me one last time because he was probably the closest to me that he would be for the next 3 months. They had apparently taken a night flight landing early on Saturday in New York (again - I don't know which airport or airbase etc..) He told me they were about 100 miles away and they would be taking their next flight soon. Again I thought this is the last time I would speak to him. Around 4:30pm on Saturday I got another call from Daniel. I said, "Are you still in NY?" I was feeling really bad for him if he had been sitting around all day. He said no. He was in another city on the east coast approx 6 hours away. Their international flight had taken off earlier in the day but hit really bad turbulence and a flight attendant had fallen backward hitting the back of her head really hard. She lost concienceness (sp) for 10 seconds or so and then couldn't feel her right leg. They had to turn the flight around and get her to the hospital. (Good thing there were 40 doctors on the plane!) I asked him if he was nervous hitting the bad turbulence - His response was, "No, but you would have been!" I don't do well in those situations. He said alot of people were holding on really tight.

So Daniel was in a hotel Saturday night somewhere on the east coast. He said that their rescheduled flight was leaving very early on Sunday morning. I asked him how he was sleeping - he sounded sooo tired. He said sleep has been very erratic. He said his next flight was 7 hours. I then figured he had to be changing planes somewhere because I didn't think they could get to Kuwait in 7 hours but again he couldn't say if they were or not and not where either. (Now we know it was Germany). He said after the fact he can tell us all about it but not before or during their trip. I do understand that but at the same time it's hard not knowing where your husband is or where he's going or what time. I like detail and I like visualizing people in their different circumstances. If he's on a plane, I want to think about him on the plane, if he's in a hotel, I want to think about him in the hotel. I liked knowing his schedule while in training because I could think about him. Like at 7:30am eastern when I was waking up I would think about him finishing his breakfast at the same time (5:30am mountain) I guess I am weird like that. Well, we hope to hear from him by maybe mid week. I hope he keeps posting and I will try to fill what he leaves out after I speak with him. I'm a bit more of a detail person.

***** 30 minutes after I posted the above, I got a call from Daniel. The call lasted all of 90 seconds but he said he had just landed in Kuwait. He borrowed a phone from somone that actually had a phone that worked. My time it was 10:10pm eastern. He said there it was 5:10am. So it looks like the time change is about 7 hours for us. He said he had to go and finish eating quickly because they can't eat after the sun comes up or they could be arrested (It's Ramadan). I guess they were at a commercial airport and not on base.

5 comments:

B said...

Lady, thanks for all the details...it is nice to know them, and I can imagine how hard it is not to know what is going on when it is going on...you are a trooper! Hang in there!

Trick said...

It is so great to hear how things are going guys. We are praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us in the know.We love you and pray for you all constantly. I feel like I'll be happy to know when Mann has arrived at his post and been able to settle in and do his job. Again thank you Lady for letting us share in the news. SPH-1

Man said...

Well I'm in Kuwait right now and things are going well. We were able to get some recovery rest/sleep over the past 24 hours which has been very refreshing. Food is great, sun is HOT, and we're progressing towards our goal of Iraq. That will not happen for a few days however. You'll probably find out after I get there. Love and miss you lots!

Anonymous said...

Read your latest news and saw your latest pictures. Very Nice! My grandchildren are growing old too fast. Daniel is always in our prayers. Hang in there "little Mommy".