Thursday, September 21, 2006

News from the Soldier

I thought I would just jot down a few quick things that Daniel has shared with me over the past few days. Yesterday they had to arrive at morning formation with all their gear on (and yes at 4:30am). That includes kevlar vest and helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, boots, goggles, full canteen etc... Later they did their shooting practice/exams and then had to do some PT training in full gear (all above mentioned items) and now carrying a gun. Their PT training consisted of jumping over walls, crawling under wire, thru mud, sand in the face, etc... I asked him how he did and he answered "Awesome!" but then told me there were quite a few people that had a tough time. I asked him if it was the girls? (they have nurses and scub techs that are being deployed with them) He said no it was the "old guys". He said there are a lot of doctors (Col. and Lt. Cols) in their 50s. It was tough on them. He said he has met a lot of doctors - many general surgeons, anesthesiologists, psychiatrists, orthopedics, dentist, etc... He doesn't think they will all be going to the same hospital,most likely they will be spreading them out a bit.

Today they had lectures on Military Law, Rules of Engagement, and Suicide Prevention. They also had IED (Improvised Explosive Device)training. He still believes that they are taking a red eye on Friday night to Kuwait. He said it's a 20 hour flight plus an 8 hour time difference. I am assuming he will arrive midmorning on Sunday. They will then get their assignments in Iraq. Hope this is helpful. I'll let you know more as I hear although I don't know when he'll be able to contact us after Friday.

5 comments:

Emmy said...

Thank you for keeping us updated!

Lady said...

See Emmy - I love when you leave little comments like that!

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Emmy says. It has been great to find a new post every day. Daddy-O checked out the blog tonight and pointed out there were new ones since I had checked earlier. WE love it! We love you too. SPH-1

Peanut said...

I, too, love the updates. Thanks!

Boss said...

Wow. A busy day for me just means getting to the laundry AND the dishes. I'm sure glad I don't have to do it wearing a vest and helmet and knee pads etc! (Or start my work at 4:30 AM!)

I'm glad to hear Dr. D's doing well. Thanks for keeping us updates!