Friday, August 08, 2008

Out of Touch

I haven't posted in nearly a month and I feel completely out of touch. It all started with our thoughts to finish our basement. We had several estimates done and had decided on a contractor the first week of July. He said he could start right away - WOW - ok to the township to apply for a permit. They said it takes about 10 days so we figured we'd apply and have it by the time we got home from our 2 week vacation out west. The application was submitted on July 7th and we had it approved July 8th!!!!! So the contractor was there the next day pushing all the stuff in our basement away from the walls etc... So now instead of just getting ready for a family of 6 to leave for 15 days we now had to move EVERYTHING out of the basement. We had a TON of stuff down there. We were storing stuff for my brother and M and J were using a whole corner for the stuff they couldn't fit into their apartment. We had a whole corner for toys plus a make shift office for Daniel with a good sized desk (loaded 2 feet high with papers) plus 4 bookshelves FULL of books and two 4 drawer filing cabinets. We had food storage shelves and camping supplies plus many rubbermaids filled with "too small" clothes belonging to the children. There were winter coats and boots and all our Christmas decorations. If you can think of it - it was probably in our basement that now had to be completely emptied out!!!

It was overwhelming and a few days I was about to cry at the drop of hat but we got it done and left on a wonderful vacation which I hope to find time to post about, but right now I can't find the card reader so I can't download any pictures. :(

Also the day before we left on vacation the Bishop asked to come over (NEVER GOOD). He asked if I would accept the call to be the new Primary President which of course I did but now I had to think about that the entire vacation!!!

So now that we've been home 10 days - I up to my neck in Primary things and finishing the basement. It was all drywalled by the time we got back from our trip which is good but that meant we now had some decisions to make. We had to pick out flooring - carpet and tile. We had to pick out cabinets and counter tops and faucets and paint. Sound fun but it is very stressful to do under a time line and then I second guess everything I pick out. Plus the fact that to save money we said that we would paint. So for the last 36 hours I have done nothing but paint. Yesterday the kids and I painted all the trim - baseboards and door trim and I started on the doors. The last two nights we have primed all the drywall in the basement (we hired our babysitter, Lizzie, to help with priming last night. I am happy to do it but again - it's on a time line which stresses me out.

I will post again someday soon. I can't find anything in our house because everything from the basement is now in our garage, dining room, living room, bedrooms etc... So some day I'll post vacation pictures and someday I'll check friends blogs again and maybe leave a comment.

5 comments:

O family said...

oh my goodness! Sounds like you have been really busy! It is great that you are getting your basement done and I am sure that it will turn out great. Congrats on your calling of Primary President!! How exciting. miss you!

Ree said...

You definately have your plate full! I'm sure everything will turn out fine, once the deadlines are past. And don't worry--some of us NEVER do any better than one post per month!

Princess Gerty said...

Whoah, that's a lotta stuff! (maybe M can explain the significance of that phrase). The chaos before the improvement is really annoying. Just keep in mind how great it will be in the end. I am so excited for you and your new basement! I put you on the prayer roll yesterday, not knowing why, but now I do. We'll keep you in our prayers. The primary in your ward is so blessed!

emlizalmo said...

Do things ever slow down? I am exhausted after our awesome trip...and here we go being completely swamped already! I need a nap. It was so great to see you guys. Thanks so much for coming over. I have some great pictures for you...I just need to touch up a few of them. I've got one more ahead of you...so maybe a week? Sound good?

The Edwards Clan said...

WOW! Sounds like you HAVE been pretty busy!! My husband finished off our basement two years ago (do-it-yourself). It was a LOT of work and took a long time (several months) doing it himself in his "spare" time (and he started right before I got put on pregnancy restrictions and he was left to do everything with the house and kids). It's so great having it done now, though. I love being able to walk into my family room and not have it feel like a romper-room. Toys still make their way upstairs, but it's nothing compared to what it used to be like.

Congratulations on the new calling!!! Having just replaced your mom as YW president I understand completely!! :o) Though....I think there's probably a lot more to worry about as Primary president -- SO many kids!! Have fun!