Friday, August 22, 2008

Double Irish Chain

This quilt was a long time in the making. I started it in January 2006. Brielle was due with Aspen in March 2006 and I figured 2 months was plenty of time to make a quilt. (hahaha). I searched the internet for a new pattern. I am always looking for a chance to make something new but I get intimidated by complex things. This one was relatively simple so I printed off the pattern and cut it down to size for a kid blanket.

I went shopping for the fabric and came home and cut everything out - I was on my way. Then I started putting the squares together. Then it came to a halt. In March when my sister was due - I found out I was pregnant with Piper -then came the early pregnancy sickness, the summer with all the kids home, Dan in Iraq and then a new baby. So this project really took a back seat.

Late April (this year) I finally finished the top and I sent it to a long arm quilter to have it quilted. (I had to save time where I could and if I had to quilt the whole thing it would have been 3 more years before it was done.) I got it back the last day of June so all I had to do was the binding. Do you think that got done before I left on vacation in mid-July? No! And I couldn't find all the fabric I had set aside for the binding - the night before I left. So once again - I finished the project at the recipients house. I used two different fabrics from the quilt to do the binding since I couldn't find enough of the black (which was my original plan).

The blocks were put together by strip piecing. Not a hard concept but plenty time consuming. Here's the chain. A single Irish chain would just be the green, but this is a double so it has green and black. They also have patterns for a triple.


Close up of the fabric. Black has little frogs. Green has little star bursts. And the pale pink is a light floral print.

The back was this very soft heavy fabric. I don't the name but it's kinda fuzzy in the softest fuzz ever. The top was bound with pink and the sides with black.


The long arm quilting was done in a floral and loopy pattern in a bright green thread. I love how this looks and wish that all my quilts could be done this way. This is only the second one I've had done.
The binding:

The recipient:
Even though she's nearly 2 and half now - I think she likes it. She probably likes more now than she would have as a new born. And I'm so glad it's done so I can move on to something else! :)

10 comments:

Judi said...

I love it! Of course, I am partial to anything "Irish" being Irish myself and having served my mission in Ireland. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I really love that blanket and I think the long stitch is my favorite! You are so talented.

O family said...

I love this blanket! I think that it might be my favorite one that you have done... well I probably say that about all of them but I really do love this one. Glad that you finished it and thatlittle Aspen has a new thing to cuddle with

Brielle said...

I love that picture of Aspen with the blanket. I have to agree it probably does mean more to her now that she is older. She sure does love how "soft and comfy" it is.

Ree said...

What a beautiful quilt! I wish I lived closer so you could teach me your talents!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt and beautiful grand daughter with quilt. You never cease to amaze me. So much hard work and talent. Love, Mom

Princess Gerty said...

I think it really is worth the wait! I love the flower quilting!

emlizalmo said...

2 years? Who cares? You are amazing! Seriously Brittney...these are the kind of things that become family heirlooms. I bet she AND Brielle LOVE it! Your pics are in the mail. YAY!

Anonymous said...

Wowie wow wow! You are amazing Lady! Beautiful job once again! Thanks for all the detail pics, it's neat to see all the elements.

B

Diane Arnett Gardiner said...

THIS IS GORGEOUS!