Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back to Iraq


Flash back to two years ago - a week after we arrived back from our big Family Reunion out west Daniel was called up by the Army Reserves with only 6 weeks notice. We survived being apart and I survived giving childbirth without him and dealing with a newborn on my own.
DEJA VU!! This time it has been a month since we returned from our big Reunion vacation. Daniel was called Monday evening. He is being deployed October 1st, back to Iraq where he will join the 345th Combat Support Hospital for a 3 month tour. We expect his return somewhere around the 10th of January.
It is certainly NOT ideal but I KNOW this time will be better than the last. For one, I'm not pregnant and I won't have a newborn. Two, my parents will be living with us from October 3rd until they leave on their mission on Nov. 10th. That should make the first month fly by although it will make it that much harder to say goodbye to them. Third, I have Emily and Jeremy nearby and they are super helpful.
I'm sad that we'll miss so many holidays - Halloween, Piper's birthday (that's 2 out of 3 now)Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years but I'm glad that I don't have kids in sports this season. I'm glad the kids will be in school and we'll be on a schedule. Holidays do make the time pass quicker - don't they?... I hope.
The thing I think will be the hardest will be Sunday mornings. We have church at 8:30 am. Right now I usually get my shower and do my hair and make-up while Dan wakes the kids up and makes them fried eggs. Then when I'm ready we get the girls dressed and run out the door (the boys can do themselves luckily). I'm not sure the kids will be getting fried eggs any longer and with my new calling as Primary President - I think Sundays will be really hard!!!
The thing I am happiest about is that Dan will do all his studying for the upcoming board examination in Iraq. It was awful last year when he studied ALL the time. It was hard because he was in the house (basement) or at the hospital library and yet we NEVER saw him and I couldn't count on his help with anything. I hope he comes home so well studied that he doesn't have much left to look over before the mid-Febuary test. The bad thing is that he won't be able to take any more review courses, which he had planned for Nov, so he's studying all on his own.
If any of you want to update your family photos for his "Family" album or send him a new note to take along - he would welcome that. Please keep him and his safety in your prayers until his safe arrival home. You could keep the rest of us in your prayers as well :)

13 comments:

Ree said...

What a shocking repeat. Stay strong. We will certainly keep all of you in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Whoa. You are in our prayers...and thank you SO much for your service and sacrifice for all of us! We love you guys!

B

Christine said...

I'm so sorry that you will be apart for the holidays, that you will be apart period! Thank you to you and Dan and your whole family for that service.

I appreciate your optimism. Hopefully he will get his studying done and you'll see your parents and have J&M around (maybe Sunday mornings?) and the time will fly! I'm glad he doesn't have to be gone longer then he already will be, but my heart still hurts for you. You are in our prayers.

O family said...

Oh man. This is such a bummer. Hopefully he will get some studying done. Maybe once your parents are gone we could do something together so you don't get too lonely. Love you and will be praying for all of you :)

emlizalmo said...

crap.

Brielle said...

Well ofcourse you all will be in our prayers. I am so sorry he has to go back. Just tell me what you are thinking for December and I will try to work something out either way. It is a good thing he gets to study over there and he will be lookin good for you too with all that workin out he does over there. :)

Daisy said...

It's hard for so many people involved, but I truly appreciate your sacrifice, as do so many others. Thanks to you all.

Judi said...

I have tears probably because I can't imagine this happening to me. I had to reread your post to make sure I read it right! And your parents are going on a mission? Did I miss a blog where you talked about that? Where are they going?

And yes you will all be in our prayers.

Princess Gerty said...

Whoa! I was in denial even as I read your post. I am really sad for you all, but of course we are all praying for you. Would you like photos emailed or do you need hard copies?

Anonymous said...

Wow! I got on your blog to see how you are doing and was shocked at the news. You are such a strong woman, Britt, so I know you will weather this well. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Allison

Jim and Reenie said...

I agree with Amy

and...

NO MORE HENRICHSEN REUNIONS!!!

Dad

Anonymous said...

You are an amazingly strong young woman and it wonderful that you have your church family. That is such a comfort to me. Also, Emily and Jeremy are a comfort to me. They just love the kids so much and I know will be there whenever you need them. You and your family are in our prayers always.
Love, Mom

Boss said...

Oh my! I'm glad M & J will be there, but I know it's gonna be hard. Hang in there, Lady!