Wednesday, August 13, 2008

New York Visit

Back in June we spent a weekend in NY with our dear friends David and Laura. They have since moved to Spain (where we are dying to visit them again). We were so excited for this visit because it was the first time we got to meet their new baby freshly adopted from China. She arrived in early April.
Her name is Caitlin and isn't she the cutest chubby cheeked baby you ever saw?
Here's Pau looking all handsome. He and Piper are only one week apart. He and his new baby sister are only 6 months apart so Laura has her hands full!
Ainsley is about a year and half older than Amelie but they play super well together.

Piper enjoying her hotdog.

MacGregor floated back and forth between playing with the little kids and playing with the Wii, which is ALL that Chase did from morn til night. Infact the boys had an offer to go with my mom to the family cabin for the weekend instead of NY but they choose NY because David has cool toys!

And I finished it. I had posted the top of this quilt back in April (before the border) and I had hoped to have it done by Caitlin's first birthday in May but it did not get done in time. Infact I sewed the binding on in the car on the way up and I hand quilted around each flower during our visit. But here's the final result with border and binding.
Front:
Back:

Machine quilting - not very good, I still get bunches.
Binding:
Hand quilting around the flower:
And here's the whole crew before we gave our last hugs goodbye. We know they'll be back in the states in 2 years but it's still hard to say goodbye. We really hope we see them even sooner in Spain but we'll have to see what our budget and schedules will allow.
OK - this is a total side note and I hope David doesn't kill me but we took two group pictures and the first one wasn't so great. People weren't ready or weren't looking at the camera. This is David's face in the first picture and it cracks me up because it's a face he made ALL the time in high school. It was his "Duh" face or his "What are you doing?" face. Anyway I find it very funny. I have always thought that Amelie favors her mother but after seeing this expression - I think she has an AWFUL LOT of her dad in her. :)

12 comments:

Peanut said...

Wow, Brittney, that quilt is awesome! I think I may need to have a quilting training session with you because I feel like I'm just faking and making things up as I go along.

Anonymous said...

Yeah the quilt is cool and the gang, but this David guy is awesome, even when he is confused.

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with Blue Bird, David is not awesome. While clearly a somewhat comic, his methods are highly questionable, and look what he's done to his daughter, not great parenting.

Anonymous said...

Hey look "hammer slammer", or whatever you call yourself, we all do our best with what we have. David is clearly a special guy.

Brittney, I think it's great that you have all kinds of different friends, and agree with the nut about the quilt.

Finally, I have to say I can see some resemblance in Caitlin as well, I'm just not sure how.

Anonymous said...

Have you all gone mad???

did you see the group picture? Who's able to do that with so many kids? Clearly Brittney, Dan, David and Laura are stellar parents and their kids verge on perfect in every way.

I think we should look up to them and give some 'spect.

5k

David i Laura said...

Hey Britt

Wow, quite a lively blog you got going on. Thanks for coming to visit us, we had a great time. We are finally getting settled in Barcelona. We can't wait for you to make the big trip over the pond.

Thanks for posting all the pictures, I've always thought amelie looks more like me.

Much Love,

David

Anonymous said...

I like balloons of various colors..blue skies with puffy white clouds, cold water to drink,watching my grandchildren play together, family dinners.
SPH-1

O family said...

your quilt is awesome! You are so good at it...

Anonymous said...

cailtin is sooo adorable. I love those chubby cheeks and think she is as cute as can be. I'm sure David and Laura have their hands full... what a cute family, wish I could have come with you to see them. I'm so happy for their new addition! Your quilt is gorgeous!!!

emlizalmo said...

Gosh they have a gorgeous family! David and Laura look just like I remember them...well, almost. What a fun visit for you guys. AWESOME quilt Britt...I think you are amazing!

Brielle said...

Sounded like a wonderful visit. That would be awesome if you got to go visit them in Spain, I would be so jealous. The quilt is just gorgeous. I love that one. I think it is one of my favorites. Caitlin is sure cute.

Princess Gerty said...

Britt, your quilting skills are amazing! I love the flower design. I am so impressed you can do such a good job on the road.