Saturday, April 14, 2007

YW Auction

We had the auction last night to raise money for the Young Women in our ward to go to camp. I was really excited all week. There was alot to bid on: Romantic dinners hosted by ward members, game nights, desserts, babysitting, hair cuts, yard work, lessons (piano, banjo, knitting), car washes, gift certificates, reflexology sessions etc...

Here are the items that I made to donate:

I did 3 pair of bead socks, 0-6 mos, 6-18 mos, and 3-5 years.


They sold for $8, $9, and $5. I was really surprised they sold for that high. I figured $5 might be the max. I also had another lady come up to me after and ask if I could make another pair for her. She asked if I wanted the money or should she give it to the girls, I told her to donate it.

Thanks to my great friend AS, I recently learned how to dress up burp rags. These are my new favorite gifts to make and I think they are darling. I made a girls set of 3 and a boys set of 3.


The boys set sold for $5 and the girls for $6. I actually thought these would go for higher - I guess you just never know. Daniel and I also auctioned off a night at our house for games and Karaoke. I think it might have sold for $8 or $10. Does that mean we aren't very fun? or do people just know we'd have them over for free?

Here is the quilt that I helped the YW make. We made it from old jeans and my old scraps that we pieced together. I really wanted it cuz all the scraps remind me of the different projects I have made over that last few years but I told Daniel I don't think I could pay more than $50 or $60 for it. Plus I felt a little silly buying the item that I made and donated, but the $ goes for a could cause so it would be worth it.



Here are some close-ups of the scrap squares we used. (Do any of you recognize the fabric from your quilts?)





This is the back.


I am happy to announce that I did get the quilt for $50. Daniel was surprised that it didn't go for more but it was near the end of the night, people may have been burned out or out of $ by then. I'm glad it didn't go higher or I wouldn't have gotten it. In my mind it was totally worth it. I could have spent more buying new fabric and it could have taken me weeks or months to get it together, but I spent $50 total. (I get tons of SRC points - lets say 1,000!) I used stashed fabrics and had other people doing a lot of the work. We got it done in just a couple of nights! The best part was having the girls cutting out all the squares from the old jeans - that takes forever!

We bought a few babysitter coupons and too many desserts, but my favorite purchase of the night was 4 tickets to see "Thoroughly Modern Milley" at our local theatre. The CEO of the theatre is in our ward and donated them. We got them for about half the price that you would pay at the box office. Daniels favorite purchase was a giant plate of snickerdoodles. I must concur that they are spectacular.

The biggest money maker of the night though was a Friday overnight campout and all day Saturday boating and fishing at my parents cabin. Yes, I did neglect to ask or mention this to my parents until after the auction, OOPS, but thanks for coming through Mom and Dad! :) It's interesting because the woman who won it - and she really wanted it, is probably in her late 50s or early 60s with all grown children. She told Daniel that she wanted it for her son so I don't know if its for her son's family or if she wants to bring all her adult children there for a weekend. I thought it would be another family from our ward roughly in our age group that we would spend the weekend with. The lady who bought it is the only member of our ward, I don't know any of her children. So it might be a little awkward. I'll let you know how it all works out.

She paid $235 for it!!! I came home last night feeling a little sick. That's a lot of pressure. I thought it would go for $50-$75 to a family we knew. Instead it goes for $235 to people we DON"T know. Now I feel like we need to make sure they have the time of their lives. I hope the weather is perfect and there are no flies. I figure I better do all the cooking and sleep outside in a tent so they can enjoy the cabin. (if it was a family we knew, I would have said - Men and boys in a tent, Women, babies and girls inside). OH THE PRESSURE!!

Overall, the YW raised close to $2,000 dollars. They needed $850 to pay for all the girls to attend camp. The extra money can be used for supplies, equipment, precamp activities and rolled over to next year. What a success!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a huge success! I LOVE ward auctions! I'm so glad it went so well. No wonder you wanted that blanket! It looks great! The overnighter thingy will go just fine. They'll have a wonderful time...I really wouldn't sweat it. Some people don't get the chance to get away and just do nothing very often. This will be very relaxing for whoever goes. I wish it was me...minus the fishing! AS

Christine said...

Wow - that sounds like a great evening. I'm glad you got the quilt! Those theatre tickets sound great too, that's one of my favorite shows. I hope you really enjoy it! Good luck with the weekend of fishing. I agree with AS, a lot of times people just want to get away and relax - I'm sure it will be fine.

Ree said...

Congratulations on your smashing success! Our ward has an annual cake auction for YW camp, and we love the event. I know we've had some cakes go for around $90, but I don't think we ever saw a grand total close to $2000! Enjoy your prizes--sure sounds like fun.

Taffy said...

That is an amazing total! We are getting ready for our auction next month. I hope we can do as well as you!