Monday, December 11, 2006

A Visit By "THE DON"

And I don't mean Dr. Sullivan! Saturday night (Sunday morning for him) while having my daily instant message chat with Daniel, he said he quickly had to go. This was at least 30 minutes earlier than he usually has to go to be at the hospital for rounds on time. I asked why he had to go right then. He answered they were closing the building. I again asked why. (Sometimes I think I ask too many questions). He said they had a visitor and then quickly signed off.

Sunday morning I stayed home with the baby again while everyone else attended church. I've never had a winter time baby and I am a bit paranoid about germs and RSV etc... Anyway, while at home I turned on the news and saw that Donald Rumsfeld had made a surprise visit to Iraq to thank the troops since he will offically be leaving the Pentagon next Sunday. HMMMM..... I thought.

Daniel didn't contact me at all on Sunday so I dropped him an email late Sunday night asking him if everything on base was ok, to contact me when he could and if his visitor had been Donald Rumsfeld. He gave me a call this morning assuring me that everything was ok. He had several patients on Sunday and our late night chat (early morning for him) was missed due to his physical fitness test he had to take at 5:45 AM. (So much for letting your breakfast settle!) I will brag on his part (cuz he never would) - he did the best you can do on situps and pushups - 75 in 2 minutes. And he came in 40 seconds shy of getting the best you can do for his 2 mile run. He ran a 7 minute mile though - I think that's pretty good and he led the pack of 8 he ran with.

And Yes - Donald Rumsfeld was in Mosul. He visited the base that is adjacent to Daniels - FOB Marez. It's just a mile or 2 from Daniels base. Daniel has been there a time or two but wasn't given permission or notice in time to make it there for the visit. I guess they shut down all communication prior to those visits so word doesn't get out about their high ranking visitor until after the visit is complete. Cool Huh?

No comments: