Thursday, December 07, 2006

Update


It's been a week since my last post. We are doing quite well. Piper was able to come off the biliblanket last Thursday afternoon and her levels Friday were the lowest yet at 10.48. Yeah!! She had a Drs. appointment on Wednesday and the doctor told me she looked great. Her color is now rosy not yellow and her eyes are white not golden. She had gained 14 ounces since she left the hospital a week ago. She left the hospital at 7-13 and weighed in at 8-11 at her appointment. The doctor was very pleased and said she is obviously getting enough.


She has become somewhat fussy when not being held in the last few days. Ainsley was the same way until she was about 2 months old. Piper is happy in your arms and will sleep soundly until you lay her down. How do they know? Usually within 5 minutes of being put down she starts to fuss again. I am so thankful for the helpers in my life. Except when they fight about being the helpers and whose head should be directly in front of her face.

This is the reason I am able to post this blog right now and use two hands to type -


My mother-in-law (SPH1) is here right now helping me and can I just say "LIFESAVER". Normally I get hesitant to ask people to help me cuz I don't want to burden them but poor SPH1 right now. I fear we are wearing her out! I told her I am going to use her while I can because next week I have to fly solo. I have been getting up with the boys but going back to bed as soon as they leave. SPH1 takes care of Ainsley and holds the baby if she's up before I am. She also holds the baby while I do my daily nighttime instant messaging with Daniel, otherwise I am typing one handed and it takes forever to have a conversation. (I am glad Daniel will be home soon so I won't have to worry about IMing with one hand anymore). She's also been doing laundry, making meals and babysitting so I can get to appointments etc... We saw a news segment this week about new moms being much more proned to mental illness in the first 3 months after giving birth. They said the peak day is day #19 (the day SPH1 leaves to go home). I hope I don't have a meltdown!

Would you like to see something ridiculous? Good thing I didn't have any other ailments or my bracelets could have reached my elbow! I had one for my patient information, one for my allergies, one for my blood information and one that matched the babies.

The other problem was the bruising. I had my own issue with bilirubin going on. I got 3 sticks - 2 for drawing blood and one for the IV. At first I had 3 small purple dots but as the week moved on I got HUGE yellow bruises surrounding the sticks. (Just like when I got my wisdom teeth out - I had yellow and purple bruising from my cheeks all the way down my chest. My father told my grandmother that it was because the doctor braced his knees against my chest to pull my teeth out. Funny Dad! ) The lighting for the pictures can't capture it well but believe me, it was UGLY. The lab tech taking Piper's blood for her tests asked me if I got slapped. I said no - my husband's not even home - just kidding honey. I told her I had had blood taken a few days ago.

It's all worth if for my baby Piper!

7 comments:

Taffy said...

Piper looks so rosey! That is wonderful. I'm glad you are all able to enjoy having her at home. Also, don't worry about wearing SPH-1 out. I'm sure she is glad to be there and that she can help.

Man said...

She is beautiful...I can't wait to hold her in my arms. I am so grateful for all the help you have received my Love. Thank you Reenie and Sharon and all others (Jim, Brielle, Brinn...etc). See you soon!

Christine said...

I'm so happy to see how healthy she looks...what a beautiful girl! I'm also glad to hear SPH-1 is there to help you, what a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...she is so perfect! In that last picture, I feel like I can see alot of her Grandpa VonS. You will TOTALLY survive day 19 (it was 19 wasn't it?) I am convinced you can survive anything. I am impressed and proud of you. Doesn't it feel good to cut those lovely bracelets off? They make things quite uncomfortable, huh? I'm glad baby Piper is doing so well. She is so beautiful! AS

Ree said...

So pretty and rosey! Does Piper look like Ainsley at that age?

Trick said...

I also felt like I wore SPH1 out when our baby was born. I think it also had to do with the Arizona summer she had to survive through once again. I am glad she could be with you though. I sensed that it was really important to her to be able to help you this way--whenever she talked about it. We love you and you are worth it.

Trick said...

I am glad mine are not the only kids that think they have to be right in front of the baby's face. Mine have been very helpful too, but sometimes a little too helpful.