Sunday, December 17, 2006

Just My Luck!

So today was my first attempt back to church since the baby was born. Now I'd be bringing 4 children by myself - Way Fun! So I set my alarm for 7am so I could get up and get everything done in time. My intentions always seem to be thwarted somehow though. First, I was going to go to bed at 9:30 cuz I was so tired. My kids got to bed a little later then intended so I was off to bed around 10pm. But my mom called just as I was walking to my room. I hadn't talked to her all week so we spoke for a half hour or so. As I hung up the phone the baby was ready to eat and by time I fed her and got her back to sleep it was nearly midnight. I really did TRY to get to bed early. Then my sweet husband has been calling me to update me on his locations home, but it seems it always happens during the middle of the night - and not when I am already awake feeding or rocking a baby but right during the middle of my sleep blocks. Friday night he called about midnight and last night he called me at 5:15 am to tell me he was Ireland! Cool! Since he left the US 3 months ago - he's been in 5 new countries. Ofcourse I hadn't had time to go back to sleep after his phone call before the baby was ready to eat again. Anyway to say that when my alarm went off this morning I wasn't ready to get up is putting it lightly.

Around 8 or so Chase came in asking me if we were going to church. I said yes, we'll just be a little late. OK - alot late. Finally I just worked it out with myself that we were just going to make it for Primary cuz no matter how fast I think I can move - I just wasn't going to make it for Sacrament meeting. I quickly fed the baby, got a shower, blew dried my hair, found an Sunday outfit that 1) would actually fit since I have't tried on any dress clothes since having the baby and 2) I could nurse in, then I bathed the baby and got her dressed, Oh and Ainsley would actually have to be dressed and have her hair done too. I had all but forgotten about her. Then I had to remind the boys to eat and get church socks and shoes on, rounded up dishes to go back to people at church, got the baby in the car seat and we were off. Chase was nice enough to get Ainlsey cerael this morning and make me a bagle to take in the car.

So we arrived at the church around 10:20 - just as Primary would be starting. But 2 blocks before we got to church I saw at least 3 ward members driving the other way. I thought to myself - "Well I might be late, but look at all the people leaving church early - I shouldn't feel so bad". Well as I got closer and closer more and more people were leaving the parking lot. Then I noticed our whole ward out in the parking lot visiting and getting into their cars. WHAT? Yes - Just My Luck! There was a gas leak and they canceled church after Sacrament meeting! I am so glad that I rushed around the house today getting 5 people ready for church just to get there to turn around and come home. Hopefully the Lord will bless me for my intentions.

On the bright side - dear Sister Hubbard offered to take my big kids home to her house. So I have a few hours of free time that I am now off to use. I may wrap presents, I may clean my room, I may begin our Christmas/New Years cards (I am not sure when they will make it out), I may take a nap or just enjoy holding my baby without needing to help anyone else. Whhooo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The blessing comes in the teaching your children got that it is important to go to Church even when it isn't easy! Love y'all! Sorry I couldn't stay longer. SPH-1

B said...

Oh Lady! What a woman you are! And what a wonderful, helpful son you have, to help get his sister ready and make breakfast for you, as well! I hope you enjoyed your "free time" today!

Taffy said...

You did a great job! It is hard to get to church on time with kids, especially a new baby. It doesn't seam to matter what # child it is, a tiny baby makes getting to church on time VERY hard. Celebrate that you were on time for primary - even though it was canceled.

Anonymous said...

I got exhausted just reading this girl! That is the pits about the gas leak but what a blessing it turned into. FREE time...no obligations! LOVE it! I don't know that i would have evn attempted the church at 9 am thing. You are incredible! AS