Monday, December 17, 2007

New Floor

We've lived in our house 2 1/2 years now. Ever since we moved in we knew we wanted to upgrade the kitchen vinyl floor to tile. We decided this summer that we would start looking for what we liked and have it done this fall. Well - I had to look over and over and over again. I searched tons of websites and visited at least 3 places in town more than once.
I really like the slate entry at my sisters house. But real slate is very uneven and tends to chip which I didn't want for my heavily used kitchen. So I finally decided on this - it's a porcelain tile made to look like slate. It's in tan and gray tones. In these pictures, without the light on, it looks more gray but in reality it's more tan with gray swirls.

Here's a picture with the lights on:


We really like it. We used 20 inch tile. It is supposed to make the room feel bigger. The guy who laid the tile told me that people in the east tend to be scared to use big tile. It's more common in the west.

Here is Piper playing with her stuffed rainbow trout. (Can you guess who got her that?) She is sitting on the old vinyl so you can compare.

The old floor was a "tile look alike" which I did like when we bought the house, but it was a very light color and it had a lot of texture. Dirt and dirty mop water would get caught in the grooves or low lying texture and dry there. It was really hard to get those grooves clean. This tile hides the dirt well and has the look of texture but is completely smooth. The old floor was easier on your feet and things weren't guaranteed to break if you drop them. The new floor is very hard and cold, I have to wear my slippers but will bring more value to the house when we sell it.

So there you have it!!

4 comments:

Brielle said...

I really like it. Thanks for posting pictures. I honestly think it looks really good. It does look like stone too. Good choice.

O family said...

I really like hte new floor. Isn't fun to upgrade?!?!?

Amy said...

Love the floor - I also am going with the big tile. I love it!!

Anonymous said...

the floor looks great! i really like it. I think Piper is the sweetest baby and I wish I could hug her. I really like the stuffed fish....