Friday, May 18, 2007

Humanitarian Service


Back in early March, I attended my parents ward where they had 1 hour designated to explaining and planning humanitarian service. Their stake was planning on sending 5,000 kits (of all kinds) to Salt Lake by July. My parents ward wanted to make roughly 1500-2000 kits of all kinds. What I didn't know until that day are all the varieties of kits their are. (A kit being any item or group of items being requested such as a quilt, or a pair of slippers, or a school kit, a new born kit or a picture book etc...) The church website has a list of all the kits, what is required in each, and patterns and templates you can follow. They also list their greatest needs. I decided that it would be fun to donate one family home evening a month to working on some kind of humanitarian kit. We decided to do the ABC books. I bought sheet protectors and card stock and a few folders with brads. My dad and brother came over to join us and we finished almost two books. The kit instructions ask that they be colored carefully and in the lines. The boys did a very good job and we just filled in some of their bare spots when needed. We gave Ainlsey all the pages that didn't print exactly right. She didn't know we were not keeping hers and she worked really hard at coloring hers very carefully. It sort of made me sad to throw hers away later, but I guess it's really good practice for when she can stay in the lines a bit better. I think we will start a folder of pictures cut out of magazines so we can do a picture book. And I would like to make some baby quilts that we can tie as a family and put together a few hygiene kits. If any of you are looking for ideas for service or home evening. I encourage you to take a look at the kits on the church's website and see what you can do as a family, or in Young Womens, or as an enrichment group.

6 comments:

Christine said...

That's a great idea, I think it's neat you got your family involved with that too. It's great that it was something the kids could do too.

Shana said...

I love it! Can't wait to follow your great example. Thanks!

B said...

Yeah, great idea lady! We did the picture books, ABC books and hygiene kits for the service project portion of our Stake Women's Conference this year. We had so much fun they had to chase us away! But what a fantastic idea to do for FHE! Maybe we'll start with the picture book or hygiene kit, as we don't color very well within the lines yet!

Froga-lee said...

One of my counselors showed us these at a service idea brunch for the YW and their mothers and they were so excited to get started that we gave them books to start coloring today. I have found a lot of the moms and adult leaders were excited for a chance to color!

Patrick and Leigh said...

Thanks for sharing! I didn't realize that there were so many options! Maybe I can incorporate one of the kits into one of our Primary activities. What a great way to get kids involved in service!!

Leigh

Princess Gerty said...

Yes, great idea! My husband and I were just wondering what we could do with our kids to help them serve others around the world more. Thank you!