Wednesday, May 09, 2007

A Celebration of Generations!

A few weeks ago my sister Brinn was visiting and we decided to go visit my Grandparents. She was still expecting at the time and my grandmother really wanted to see her before she had the baby. I was really happy to have the opportunity and the time because they only live 25 minutes away but because both of our schedules are so busy we don't see them often enough. They live in a very nice retirement community and have trips, lectures, dinners, and other events. We have 4 children all involved in activities, school and church. This being said, I need to make a better effort to get down and see them.

I love the fact that my children are getting to know their great grandparents. I was actually born with 5 great grandparents and do have a few memories of times I shared with them. My great grandpa Von Stetten lived to be 101 years old. I was 16 when he passed away and we used to visit him at least twice a year so I remember him the best. One of my great grandmothers lived near Pittsburgh so I didn't see her as often but I remember writing letters to her and she always wrote me back. I wrote her in high school and metioned that I played hockey and loved it. She remarked to my father that she just couldn't imagine teeny tiny Brittney on ice skates playing hockey. (Hahaha)

My grandfather recently accepted the invitation to come and be interviewed by some 3rd grade students (not Chase's class) from the boys school. The third graders are studying Lancaster County this year and wanted to interview people that grew up here. My grandfather is a great resource and was able to tell them about what it was like to go to school here 72 years ago. Chase was able to sneak away from his class and listen in for about half the interview. How awesome to show off your great grandfather. A funny story - my grandpa told me one of the boys asked him if he served in World War One, Chase quickly jumped in - NO WAY, he wasn't even born then! I don't think most kids know as much about wars and the years they occured. Chase has read every war book in his Elem. School library.

The boys are in awe of the stories my grandfather tells them about the war. They love to look at his memorabilia and talk about aircraft carriers and hellcats. My grandfather always has Neco wafers and tells them each time we visit that Necos are the oldest candy still made in the United States. I think Ainlsey will remember him as the "Neco grandpa". My father said he had the "whitehaired grandma" and the "bologna grandma". That's how he told them apart. One grandma always brought ring bologna when she visited. My grandmother loves to hold the little ones and always has things for Ainsley to look at when we visit. Last fall she kept all of my grandfather's "get well" cards from after his knee surgery so Ainsley could look at each one and lay them out the way she does. Then my grandma would remember a trait from the card and ask Ainlsey to find the card with a kitty on it or a red bird, etc... It definitely kept Ainsley busy. And my grandma is so patient as she answers the curious questions of a 4 year old - like, "What are those lines on your face?" And "Why are you old?" Not to metion the "to die for" sugar cookies and milk she serves.

Here my grandpa is pursing his lips together and blowing a really high pitch whistle at Ainsley. She loves it!




My grandparents now have 12 great grandchildren. I hope all the great grandchildren know how lucky they are to be able to interact with and be photographed with their great grandparents. I need to continue to make the effort for my children to spend time with them so they will have treasured memories in the future.

5 comments:

O family said...

I love these pictures. I just think that Grandma and Grandpa V. are such wonderful people. I remember getting to excited to see them when I was little. It makes my heart melt seeing them with our kids now. :)

Anonymous said...

I love that Grandpa still has Neco wafers for the kids when they visit. I remember getting so excited to visit and eat iceream and pretzels and Neco wafers. I had a nice time visiting them with you Britt, thanks. I can't wait for Emma to meet them too, she's names after Grandma's mom.

B said...

Lady that is so awesome! I wish I had known my grandparents better let alone my great grandparents! Plus I love that you are recording these neat little memories of yours for everyone to read...way to do family history!

Anonymous said...

These pictures are invaluable. What a treasure. And what darling little girls, hum . . . I might be a little prejudice.(:
Love, Mamaw

Anonymous said...

These are darling! LOVE grandparents. Actually, I love all old people...except the grouchy ones. I should have gone into geriatrics. AS