Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Recent Completions

I finished a few projects last month.  It's been quite a while since I've sewn anything.  I don't know where the time goes.  I did finish an awesome quilt top (if I do say so myself) back in February.  It was for my nephew who was born last July.  I sent it off to be quilted by a long arm machine.  When I get it back I'll bind it and then get a picture.  Maybe Cash will get it by his first birthday.

In April I finally got some sewing time.  This is a rag quilt that I tried to embellish by sewing on flower looking shapes and adding a button to the middle.  The flowers are also ragged.  This is one I plan on giving away.  I really do like it but if I were to do it again there are definitely things I would do differently.  I learned a lot from this quilt and I think I could really improve on the next one.   But there are quite a few patterns on the list ahead of making another one of these so we'll see - someday.


Here's one I did for the silent auction at the Spring Festival at the kids school.  The fabric only cost me about $7.50.  I wonder what it will sell for?  I don't even know if people at school would be interested in something like this.  Although it makes a great baby shower gift.  I guess we'll see if it's worth making another one next year. ***The down side of this one was that one of the black fabrics bled in the wash.  I think it was the argyle one because the above quilt didn't run and that used the same black flowered fabric.  I never wash my fabric first and I don't usually have a problem with it but this time I did.  It's not terribly noticeable so I hope the new owner doesn't notice.  I am making a quilt for MacGregor's teachers that is navy and white.  I decided to wash all the blue fabric first.  I'm learning.
  This is the one I made for the church auction.  It was supposed to be an all camp auction (YW camp, Boy Scouts and Cubs).  But the youth really didn't get behind it so the leadership canceled.  That left scouts up the creek without a paddle.  Primary and Scout leaders had signed up to bring/make quite a few things already so we decided to have a silent auction table (not as fun) at the Ward Memorial Picnic this month to raise money for Cub Scout Day Camp.
This quilt cost me nothing to make - only my time.  I used old jeans and an old denim dress.  (I got tons of squares from that dress) and scraps from my stash.  I love the look and the price of a scrap quilt and I do promise not to buy this one back like I did with the one I made 2 years ago.

Here are some close ups of the fabrics used this time.  Do any of you recognize fabric from quilts I've done for you??

6 comments:

Brielle said...

I love the fabric of the first quilt so much. It is so cute, definitely fabric I would pick out. Good Job!! You are so talented.

Jim and Reenie said...

There is a quilt shop we hope to go to on the way to Durban. I wonder how different they will be. I haven't seen a lot of quilting here. Your blankets are tops Britt. Love You, Mom

p.s.
can't wait to see the one you made for Cash.

Miss Crys said...

Okay...you are incredibly busy...how do you do it all?

emlizalmo said...

You are a sewing MANIAC! :) Feels so great to get these things completed, huh? They look great Britt.

Princess Gerty said...

Way to go quilting Mama!

Diane Arnett Gardiner said...

How cute are those! you've been busy! LOOOOVE the Acorn tree by the way!