Sunday, September 28, 2008

Relationships

I love the relationships I have with people.  I have lived in 7 cities in my life.  In each one I have met special people that are dear to my heart.  I enjoy continuing those relationships long after we've moved or my special friends have moved away.  On this trip we were able to connect with lots of special friends.  I kick myself for not taking pictures with each of them.  So sorry Jim and Jill, Doug and Fran, Stan and Shelli.  I don't know what I was thinking.

I already posted pictures with my lil sis Brielle, and my lifetime BFF Amy.  But here are a few you haven't seen.

Best Pal Al.  She and I lived on the same floor freshman year of college, in the same apartment sophomore year, and roomed together our junior year.  She came out to visit me in Dover, DE and I spent some time in Albuquerque, New Mexico where she grew up.  

The weirdest thing happened 3 years ago.  Al called me and said she was walking down her church hallway (in Taylorsville, Utah)  and saw a bulletin board with a picture of my boys hanging on it.  I said, No Way!  She was sure it was them and I asked what the picture was. She said that they were standing with a missionary.  Then we figured out that the missionary was serving in my ward here in PA and his home ward met in her building.  SMALL WORLD.  It was so good to see you Al.  
And here's Carrie.  We were roommates both freshman and sophomore years of college.  We've managed to maintain our relationship for 16 years now.  We made each other baby blankets.  Hers was much better than mine.  She made it for me the summer after freshman year.  Chase used it til the fabric got so thin you could see thru it.  I made her one too.  It was in the early days.  I crocheted it, started that same summer but never finished.  When I finally did finish 5 years later, they didn't make that color yarn anymore.  So the the first third was variegated green, pink and white and the second two thirds was all white.  It was hideous!!  But I wanted her to know that I had finished it so I sent it anyway.  I told her to keep it the trunk of her car for emergencies or whatever.  AWFUL!   

I spent 2 Thanksgivings at her house in Las Vegas.  She visited my house in Delaware and Valley Forge.  I have spent time at 3 of her homes in Utah - OK Carrie - your turn to come here.  We love to see each other and now our girls are having a good time playing together too.
And here's my baby sis!  So glad I got to spend some time with her too.  Hope to come out when Dan returns to see her new little bundle.  Looking forward to see Piper and Emma play alot more.  Makes the best cakes ever!!!   Love you Brinn.

6 comments:

Brielle said...

Wow I am definitely behind on commenting on your blog. You have posted tons. Love the pictures with you roommates. It is really cool you guys still keep in touch. Also great picture of you and Brinn

O family said...

It is great that you still keep in touch with friends from so long ago. I should work more on that I think. This is a good picture of you and Brinn. She doesn't look prego at all!

emlizalmo said...

I love old friends too. There is something so comfortable about them. LOVE YOU! And yeah...Brinn makes great cakes!

Judi said...

Wish I could see you too! I'm not sure Indy is a hot spot for many people though :). But I-70 does run right through it!

My brother lives in Easton, PA now. His Parkinson's is progressing a little more rapidly than they'd like.

You are so right about how great it was to visit my family alone! It was so relaxing I had a hard time wanting to come home! :)

Anonymous said...

So fun to see Alison and Carrie, Hi, girls! (: I wish I could see you girls too. Carrie I still use the candy jar your mom made for me when you all came through Dover on vacation. In fact it has become the lifesaver mint jar to all the grandkids that come over. I have given it to MacGregor to keep and care for while we're on our mission. Then when we get back I get the jar to start the tradition again. Tell your Mom Hi for me.
Love, Mom/Reenie

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you on your trip! I look awful in that picture but oh well. I am glad you write this blog so I can keep up on more of your day-to-day stuff. I think when the babies come, I might start a blog. I hear it's easy, which I need because I am very computer inept. Allison