Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Covers

Most of you know that I teach the 14 and 15 year old girls at church each Sunday. Many of the lessons would say "bring paper and pencils for the girls". I knew with a loose leaf of paper that whatever they had written down wouldn't be saved so last Spring I decided to get them all little spiral note books. They are roughly 4 x 5 inches and 180 pages, so pretty thick. I thought this way when they write something down or write goals or thoughts about a lesson they will have it saved and someday can go back and read those thoughts etc... At the same time I thought it would be a great way to put the scriptures and quotes from the lesson in a place that the girls can look back on a certain topic and have those resources at their fingertips. If they ever have to give a talk or a lesson on one of these topics - they'll have all this info. (The catch is that I keep the books and bring them each week - I just didn't see the girls remembering every week. So I will give them their books as they move up to the next group.) It also saves us a lot of time because we don't have to look up scriptures and wait for everyone to get it. It's all right in front of us.

So here's what the books look like:

Here's a close up of one page.

Then my best buddy AS shared her secret pattern for making covers for spiral notebooks. She told me I should make them for my girls. I thought the girls would really like that and the books look so much cuter. So I had to experiment because my spiral notebooks are a much bigger size than the ones AS uses. The third time was the charm and then I got the assembly line running and this is what I ended up with:The girls were really excited and I had a lot of fun learning to make something new!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

so cute! I love the ribbon at the side. So do you have to use a batting or facing? Your YW are lucky to have you for their teacher.
Judi :)

Brielle said...

Look at you creative one! I think what you did with the notebooks was a really good idea. I love the covers. Those girls are pretty lucky to have teacher that takes that much time for them each week. You were right when you told me I CAN have a clean house because that is all I do and I have no hobbies but exercise. See look at you, you are developing your talents. (just kidding) I really do love the idea and I am going to share it with our YW.

Taffy said...

Those note books are a wonderful idea. They will be a real treasure for then some day. Especially now that they look so cute!

Amy said...

Great idea - I think I will pass it on at my next stake meeting. Thanks

O family said...

very cute notebooks. I have one of AS's notebooks and I use mine all the time. I bet your girls really appreciated them

Anonymous said...

Oooo..I love them! They turned out so great! What a treasure Brittney...they will have these forever. You are an awesome leader...and an awesome person! AS

Anonymous said...

Great Britt for going the extra mile. And some of us remember our YW leaders and that they really do have a lasting effect on us. That is special.

Princess Gerty said...

I LOVE THEM! What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

look at you go martha stewart! You are so good at stuff like that, I wish I was there to have learned how too and to help you. I think they are really nice and I'm sure the girls appreciated all your efforts.

Boss said...

Those notebook covers are super cute, but why would you want to cover up my name on the front of the notebooks?