Thursday, November 01, 2007

The Carving Experience

The kids were really excited to do pumpkins with their Dad this year since he was conspicuously absent last year. Ainsley began talking about going to the pumpkin patch at least a week before we had it scheduled. She talked about it every day. We decided to go Monday the 22nd for family home evening. The kids were so excited to carve their pumpkins that night but Daniel said they would rot by Halloween so we only carved 2 then. We did Piper's and an extra one we bought. We decided to use alliteration and carved Piper a Piggy Pumpkin. MacGregor gave us the cyclops idea and I think both of these turned out cute. Piggy Pumkin made it til Halloween night but Cyclops rotted. I think it's because cyclops was a white pumpkin and I think white and green pumpkins are much softer and rot much quicker.

We carved the rest of the pumpkins on the following Monday, Oct 29th. Ainsley's favorite thing is to squeeze the guts. She sat there squeezing and squeezing until she had orange guts and seeds up past her elbows. Each person drew their own design on a piece of paper first, even Ainsley. And then Daniel carved each pumpkin according to their design. (I carved my own but he wasn't thrilled with that - he doesn't trust any of us with sharp knives) We bought a pumpkin for Chase and Gregor's friend Vic too. He joined us for carving and we sang some family night songs for him. Chase was really disappointed that we didn't dry and bake the seeds this year but Halloween wears me out. There is so much involved. We did a trunk or treat at the church the night before. We did our pumpkin carving. We do make up and costumes and candy and crafts etc... And it didn't help that 4 out of the 5 nights before Halloween Daniel and I were up til 1 AM watching the first season of LOST. We only get it for one week from the Library and it is really hard to watch 24 episodes in one week. I think we'll just pay late fees for season two so we don't have to be so sleep deprived.


Here the kids are each sitting under their own pumpkin.

Here's the whole clan with lights on, on the porch, and with lights out. Dan carved the batman and I did the "cool" guy with sunglasses.

8 comments:

Brielle said...

Wow, you guys really went all out. I love the pumpkins. Very creative!

O family said...

This is so great! I bet they had a blast. The pumpkins all look awesome. GOOOOO DAN!

Anonymous said...

They look great! Hey...season one of LOST is worth the sleep deprivation...I don't know about the rest of the seasons though...tell me what you think! AS

Anonymous said...

cool pumpkins... I'll have to rent LOST, I've never watched it before.

Anonymous said...

WOW- Awesome job on the pumpkins!!
Just wanted to let ya know Brian and I have restarted our blog..
www.vonsurf.blogspot.com

Boss said...

Those are some great looking pumpkins! I think it's very sweet that Man does all the carving. That's the part I hate the most.

Also, I agree that Lost is totally worth sleep deprivation. And library fines, for that matter. Are you allowed to renew?

B said...

That's awesome that Daniel carves for all of you! I can't stand doing it anymore...I get too itchy! Your Jack's look great!

Princess Gerty said...

I think your cool face looks great! What fun! I can see why Halloween wears you out, though.