Thursday, March 08, 2007

Day Late and a Dollar Short

I am always a day late and a dollar short - Ask anyone if they have ever received an early birthday gift from me! Nope - it's never happened. I am late on my blogs as well. I am just finding it harder and harder to have the uninterrupted time to sit and write.

So going back several weeks to Valentines day - that was our first of two snow days. The roads were terrible and everyone stayed home. We had had a babysitter lined up but canceled because of the roads. On Friday however, Daniel called during his lunch hour to see if we could go to dinner that night. I was able to get a babysitter on short notice and we went out for a little alone time. His arrival from work that day greeted me with these gorgeous roses. He had bought me roses shortly after his return from Iraq but they never opened. The buds just hung their heads and died, but these red roses bloomed the most gorgeous blooms I had ever seen. They are actually still in my kitchen in perfect form and almost completely dried. I have never had flowers dry in perfect form, usually the petals fall off or the flower begins to hang and droop.





Our dinner was great, we went to Chilis and got my favorite chips and salsa. We also got their hot spinach and artichoke dip. Then we shared an entree. We have begun sharing the entree at restaurants and this allows us to enjoy an appetizer and/or dessert. Plus we leave feeling satisfied and not overly stuffed. Another added bonus is the bill which comes to the same or less than we've typically paid. After dinner I made Daniel go to the fabric store with me. I picked out some fabric to make a rag quilt for my sister's baby. They were having a sale and almost all the flannels were $2 a yard. But because we don't know the gender I had to get all greens and yellows. (later when I showed my mother the fabrics, she had gotten many of the same fabrics for receiving blankets. Oh well, there are only so many gender neutral fabrics out there).

Sunday, the 18th, we had dinner at my parents house to celebrate birthdays - my father's and mine. It was a very nice dinner and my favorite part was not having to do any dinner preparation or clean up! I got to just sit and hold the baby! :) It's nice to have a day off now and then. I got a game that I have been looking for for 2 and half years. It's a cranium game called Hoopla. It's fun for a group of people and it's everyone against the clock. Daniel found it at TJ Maxx of all places. My sister got me my favorite apples from this specialty choc/ice cream place run by members of our old ward in Valley Forge. It's a large granny smith apple dipped in thick caramel, rolled in toffee crumbs and drizzled with white and dark chocolate. SCRUMPTIOUS!! I also got some money that I will be mulling over how to use ( I always spend a lot of time thinking of what to buy cuz once it spent, the options are over) and a few new clothes - all black and white. I was sort of feeling boring when I was talking to a friend I really admire (who always seems to look great and usually has black and white (or sometimes blue) on) and she says if you stock up on black and white then you always have coordinating outfits that you can pick out fast in the morning. Also they are classic colors that won't go out of style so you can wear them forever. I don't feel so boring now - I feel rather practical.


On Monday, the 19th - my actual birthday, the kids had off school for inservice. I had completely forgot it was my birthday until Daniel called around 10:30 am to wish me a Happy Day. He brought me home this candy boquet (the kids have really been digging this, although it's the last thing they need) and the promise of allowing me to take some quilting classes. That's what I told him I wanted. So I got my first one that Friday night (23rd). It wasn't an actual class, it was a "sew-a-thon" where you go and work on any unfinished project you have. They give you a time a place to work and feed you dinner for $10. Not a bad deal. It's at this specialty quilt shop near my parents. The class is the last Friday of the month from 6pm-11pm. Because Daniel didn't get home from work until about 5:45, I missed the first half hour or 45 minutes but it was FANTASTIC to have several hours with no interruptions to work on a project. Daniel took the kids and hung out at my parents and fed the baby a bottle so I truly got to work the entire time with no worries. I brought the quilt pieces for a quilt I had started 14 months ago. It's a double irish chain, probably the most ambitious quilt I have emarked on (lots of 2 inch squares). I will post a picture when it's complete.

I know I have gone on and on but that's what happens when you delay. Too much to catch up on. Next I will have to do Piper's 3 month update (now that she is 3 and half months).
This picture is just cuz she's cute!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

She really is cute! I just want to squeeze her and love her! I'm so glad stuff is going well for you guys. That quilting class sounds AWESOME! Don't we all need some time out, alone, with no distractions? What a great gift. I think I'll start hinting to my husband for my birthday in June! AS

B said...

Those roses are gorgeous! I'm glad February was so good for you guys, and that your b-day was great! How fun to get away and work on a hobby for an evening! Can't wait to see the pics of the quilt!

Anonymous said...

Happy b-day (late). It sounds like a great one. I'm glad you were given some time to work on your projects!
Piper is getting so big...can't wait to see more pics.

Anonymous said...

The roses are beautiful, but I think the Candy boquet would be my preference. I'm happy you had a nice birthday, I'm happy I was there to celebrate it with you. Sounds like you and Dan had a nice Valentine's Day, reading about Chile's made me really hungry... but I'm always hungry it seeems.

Taffy said...

Beautiful baby! Beautiful roses! And... Happy Birthday Lady!

Trick said...

I am so glad you have enjoyed your special gifts. I would love the flowers AND the candy!