Monday, August 21, 2006

Looks Like We've Made It!




We are going to give this a try. I can't say I really understand how to do any of this and I'm not a great writer but we are willing to give it a chance. I really enjoy reading all the other family blogs and I feel like we know each other better by seeing and hearing all the ongoings of each family.

I don't know if everyone has heard but the Army Reserves has called up Daniel to serve three months in Iraq with the 399th Combat Support Hospital. He leaves in just over 3 weeks (2 days before his birthday). He will return around the 20th of December. So yes - he will miss the birth of our baby due November 24th. I thought starting this blog might be nice for him to see what we are doing daily as well since I don't know how often we will be able to talk on the phone. I also hope that will give me motiviation to record our daily ongoings.

We had a nice visit with Aaron and Christine this past weekend. It was short since Daniel had to be in Pittsburgh Friday night and Saturday for a Soldier Readiness Program. The kids and I went with him and stayed in the hotel. We got to the hotel about 11pm. Around 4am the power went off (so did the airconditioning and any type of white noise we were using(static on the radio). It was very hot and you could hear everything from the hall which was mostly this random beeping coming from I don't know what. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep (I am not sleeping comfortably anyway these days.) The power returned around 7am. Daniel left early for his program where they injected him with a multitude of deadly diseases (immunizations), went over military finance things, created a will with a lawyer, fitted him for a kevlar helmet etc... The kids and I had a lazy morning, hit the grocery store for some lunchables and caught a 12:30 movie. By the time the movie was over Daniel was done. We left Pittsburgh at 3 and arrived in Lancaster at 7pm where we met Aaron and Christine at a restuarant for dinner. We celebrated our 11th anniversary with them and our children. We thank the military for taking our anniversary and Daniels birthday from us this year (not to mention #4's birthday). We enjoyed visiting Saturday night. On Sunday Aaron and Christine made us their "wonderful german pancakes in a muffin tin" recipe. It was delicious. We drove them around parts of Lancaster City and rural Amish country. We saw buggies - Sunday is a great day for that. For dinner we had Hawaiian Haystacks - a winner in everyone's book and dessert was ripe peaches with half and half. Yum. Monday morning we toured Daniels office, went out for Philly cheestakes and went to the Wilbur chocolate factory before they headed back to New York. We sure had a lot of fun. We hope to get together again while they are living on the East Coast.



I guess that's it for now. My kids start school in one week so I am sure this week will be a busy one.

9 comments:

B said...

Congrats on your first post! And welcome to Blog-Land! How fun to be able to spend time with Aaron and Christine. My Mimi and Buddy are jealous...of course if Mimi had her wish everyone would come for a Reunion and never leave...just one big party all the time!)

Froga-lee said...

You guys can cram so much fun into a weekend! You must be exausted!
Well, you say you don't know what you're doing but I think you are pretty accomplished to have a photo in your first post!

Mark said...

Glad to see you posting!

Taffy said...

Great to have you posting Lady! My kids are jealous too. And I agree with froga-lee, that was a great first post.

Pooka said...

WHAAAATT???? Dr. D. has to miss the baby coming!!!?????? Woah, Lady, betcha you'll be collecting on some awesome heaven's blessings in this life or the next for having that stressor thrown on your plate! Yeeegz!

Ree said...

I agree with Pooka. My heart and prayers go out to all of you pennhens. Thank you for sacrifice to serve our country.

And its great to see you blogging! You are obviously getting the hang of it much faster than I did!

Shana said...

Mark just told me you started blogging. I'm so excited that you've joined the rest of us. And. . . it looks like you've got it all figured out already.

Sonnet told us about Mr. Penn Hen being activated this past weekend and I've been dying a little inside every day for you. I just remember talking with you a few months ago about how everyone has their trials and while I firmly believe trials make us stronger, I must say, this is one trial I'm not sure I could handle. You both are in all of our prayers (the boys are especially concerned for D) and I only wish we lived closer so we could somehow help you. If there's anything we can do, please let us know.

Until then, I'll be checking on your blog daily. . . or as close to that as my kids will allow. Happy Blogging!

Boss said...

Welcome to blogland! I'm so excited that you're here. I've been thinking about you and your family ever since I heard the news of Daniel's deployment. I know it will still be incredibly hard, but I'm glad you'll be blogging the daily details for Mr. Hennpenn while he's away. (Not to mention the rest of us too!)

Peanut said...

Welcome! I love the pictures! I'm looking forward to hearing more of your tales. And I'm keeping you all in my prayers.