Saturday, August 26, 2006

Friday Night Fishing


Last night we went fishing. We started out day fishing and ended up night fishing. Daniel became obsessed with fishing sometime this spring. He now fishes every chance he gets (at least 3-4 times a week). He goes before work, during his lunch hour and afterwork with the kids. The kids love it. He asked me recently if he thinks he can bring his fishing pole to Iraq. I told him a US soldier fishing the Tigris probably isn't the safest and the water is polluted so he shouldn't be near it (according to our Deployment Health Guide: Iraq). I think 3 months without fishing is going to be killer (some serious withdrawal is ahead). Not to mention when he gets back it will be winter and not alot of fish are biting then.

We all had a good time. I really don't mind fishing if I don't have to pull the hooks out. If I had a good pair of gloves I think I could do it (and I have done it when it was absolutely necessary). Last night I lucked out and Chase was there to do all the unhooking.

Chase hooked a huge fish last night. His pole was bent almost completely in half. He was reeling and reeling and this fish was pulling out his drag just as quickly. He got it 6 inches from shore and the line snapped. Oh the one that got away! He got away with a hook still in him - that'll teach him. He should have let himself get caught and photographed and then we would have put him back with out a hook in his lips.

No comments: