Monday, September 21, 2009

Canning

Yes - I turned this...
into THIS...
I've really gotten into canning this fall. I made strawberry jam in August. It was the first time I had canned anything without my mother. She helped me do peach and strawberry jam and also applesauce over the last 2 years. I didn't think I could do it without her - I just wasn't brave enough to do all that work on the chance that I'd do it wrong.

I missed strawberry picking season in June. June was a beast with non-stop baseball, end of year school activities and our trip to Africa. So when I saw strawberries on sale for $1.44/lb in August, I bought 12 pounds. I said, YES I CAN!! I did call a friend over and she helped me. We followed the directions and I called my mom to make sure I was doing it right. The jam came out just delicious.

Since then I have done Salsa - which is the only one I got pictures of so far, and peach jam, also delicious. The jam I did with another friend and I had some great helpers that helped in the cutting up of all the veggies for the salsa. Sure helps to have an extra set of hands in the kitchen and in the case of the peach jam, it sure helped to have a 5 burner stove so we could fit 2 big canner pots on the stove (not my house, I wish).

This Thursday my peach jam friend is coming over and we are going to bottle peaches - a first for both of us. And I bought more ingredients to make more salsa. The salsa goes quick because you eat at least 1/2 a pint in each sitting. I only have 6 more pints and that is certainly NOT going to last through winter. So I better make some more while I can still find big baskets of tomatoes. The first batch of salsa I made I used the tomatoes from our very own back yard. We planted 2 plants this year, another first for us, and did receive quite a bounty. However, we are nearing the end of the season on these little plants and I know I won't get enough off them for another batch of salsa.

Also I used my new attachment for my kitchen-aid to slice some peaches and then I put them on the dehydrator. I got a sandwich baggie full of sliced dried peaches and I tell you - I could nibble on those all day!! I also cut some of the dried peaches and put them in my oatmeal yesterday and it was really delicious.

I hope to use the new attachment again when it's time to do applesauce. I have hope of canning up a few more things before the fall harvest is over!! Hooray for the Harvest!

Here's our very little garden plot. It was some unused area in our back yard landscaping. I planted 2 small 10 inch tall tomato plants and they turned into this giant bush bearing fruit galore.
This bunch of tomatoes took FOREVER to turn red. But they have been sweet and juicy. We eat sliced tomatoes with dinner at least every other day.
Here's Ainsley with some of the very first we picked. At first they came very slowly - one or two every few days, but by the end of August 3/4 of the plant turned red at once and that's when I made the salsa.
Can't wait for applesauce!!

8 comments:

emlizalmo said...

Go Britt! Canning makes me crazy.

Amy Smith said...

WAAAAAAY better when you make yourself!!! Have fun canning!

jennis said...

This has been a good year for us to get started doing some canning on our own too (although I still did some of the canning with my parents' help- and facilities)! I'm excited to do applesauce too...

Jim and Reenie said...

You go girl! What a pretty picture of the ingredients for the salsa.
It really does look nice in your pantry and you feel so good about the time you put into it.
I'm proud of you Britt.
Love, Mom

B said...

Way to go lady! I love love love seeing my shelves fill up in the fall and then being able to eat "fresh" home canned food throughout the year is so awesome! We start teh apples this next week...apple pie filling yum!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! looks yummy and fresh. I can't wait to eat some next week! yay. I am impressed that you did it, i'm still too worried to do it on my own.

Princess Gerty said...

I am so impressed with your work--your whole pantry is very impressive. So, I guess you have a "snitz" oven and will enjoy "apple snitz" and "peach snitz!"

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your tomatoes had a great summer and Piper let them grow and turn red. It must have been so tempting for her all summer long. Yeah for Piper!

Lara