Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Watermelon

Life has been all consuming lately. We have baseball 3 nights a week. Cub scouts, dance and piano lessons are still on our weekly list - plus homework, pre-school, and the norm - groceries, laundry, meals, church. So thus - I haven't been posting very much and I have a lot to catch up on but it will probably just trickle in.

So two Fridays ago we finally had our first barbecue with our new patio furniture. The only catch was we had to put it together first which took us a while. We didn't end up eating til close to 7:30 but it was so worth it. And yes I did forget to take pictures and right now all the cushions are in the basement because we've had rain.

I was so excited for this particular dinner. It was almost like summer in a bottle, but it wasn't in a bottle - it was on the table, so I guess it was like summer on the table. I had totally planned on overeating all day long. We had cheese dogs on the grill, veggies and dip, corn on the cob and my favorite of all favorites - chips and salsa from Chilis-to-go. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the chips from Chilis so I like to go on Friday's and treat us for dinner. I always ask for double the salsa because we go right through it. And to top everything off - you need watermelon for the perfect summer meal and it's sort of pre-season right now so I had to plunk down $7 for a watermelon. But it was totally worth it. We would have spent a lot more if we had take every one out for an ice cream cone etc...

The weather was absolutely perfect. Eating outside was divine. We took a walk around the neighborhood and talked to all the neighbors. Every kid on the street from age 2 - 18 was outside visiting in the street. It was the most PERFECT Friday night.

So this was Piper's first time experiencing watermelon and she really liked it. Here's a series showing her interest and enjoyment.





Boy that girl has a big smile but I can't get enough of it! Don't you love all that sticky watermelon juice dripping down her chest?

I often feel like I don't get enough pictures of my big kids, especially the boys. They aren't with me as often and don't change as quickly or do new things. So I am making an effort to take more pictures of them doing whatever they do.

Here's Chase trying to ignore me and the camera - just eating his watermelon.

Here's MacGregor totally posing for the camera. These boys of mine have very different personalities. One totally shuns the camera and the other can't get enough.

And here's Ainsley chatting it up on the phone. To whom? Anyone who will listen!

9 comments:

Brielle said...

Okay first of all you are making me so jealous with you summer BBQ. I would of loved it, it sounded perfect. Second, I laughed out loud when I got to Pipers huge smile. She has the best smile ever. You can't help but not smile when she does. I am glad you got some of the boys. I already feel like I take more of Aspen and Kamden gets upset. But it is so true they just aren't changing as fast. Really cute picture of Ainsley(the last photo). All this really makes me miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

That Piper what a crack-up! She can be so goofy. (: The boys are getting way to old - I wonder what that makes me? ): Ainsley on the phone already, just you wait - you haven't seen anything yet.
Thanks for dinner, the ball game and pre-school graduation.
Love, Mamaw

O family said...

This sounds so fun. BBQs are great. I love just being outside, hanging out with family and eating some yummy food! Piper DOES look adorable and just so happy with that sticky watermelon everywhere! she is adorable. Also, it is nice to see some pictures of the boys. They really are super handsome!

Anonymous said...

I love your kids, they are so cute!Congratulations on your inaugural BBQ! Eating alfresco is the best. You like Chili's salsa better than Poblano's? That is our standard to measure other salsa's by! : )

Love ya! Wendy

Judi said...

I love eating outside too. I'm so glad the nice weather is finally here. It seems like everyone comes out of hibernation, doesn't it?

Those pictures of Ainsley make her look so grown up. She is so cute!

Many happy bbq's ahead . . .

emlizalmo said...

I think Chase is totally Brian in that picture. I know what you mean about the big kids though. I just realized that my past few blog entries have been about Molly. I've got to work on that. Alex doesn't really dig the camera though either.

Yum on that dinner! Watermelon is the best. The juice, stickiness, mess...love it...outside with shirts off (not me, just the kids:)). I'm jealous. It just sounds like the perfect, warm, happy night. I've got to go create one of those!

Anonymous said...

am so jealous that I can't be there for the bbq! i love watermelon and all the yummy treats that you eat in the summer. The boys look so much older!!! I can't believe tha they are such big kids now. I think ainsley looks like you in the last photo... but she looks way too old to be on the phone and so serious!!! Piper is as cute as can be and I love her BIG grin!!!

Princess Gerty said...

Watermelon makes any night a celebration! I think it was well worth the $7!!

Christine said...

That sounds like a fabulous BBQ - I love summertime (and can't wait for it to get here!) I think the pictures of Ainsley gave me a glimpse of her teenage self - not that she will always be on the phone (hopefully) - but just the poses. They made me do a double take.