Monday, March 03, 2008

The Sickness

Well the sickness found us. We had a really good run from Christmas until last week when Chase came down with a fever. His fever went on for 8 days. On day 5 he seemed to have a break in the fever and that's, of course, when we saw the doctor. He tested negative for the quick strep test and negative for influenza. Later that night his fever spiked again and I called the doctor. We went in the next day for some blood work. It was Chase's first time and he did great. We got a call that afternoon that Chase tested positive for Mono. Poor kid.

Then Friday afternoon Piper got a fever. Dan thought she sounded a bit wheezy. I put her down for bed around 9 pm but around 11:15 she woke up and was having a lot of trouble breathing. CROUP! We tried getting her settled and using a vaporizer but she was still really struggling. We finally took her to the ER around 1:30AM. After some nebulizer treatments and some neck X-rays, she was admitted to the Peds floor. Her heart rate was about 220 when we first got there. She spent two nights in the hospital with Daniel and I trying to trade off. A big thank you goes out to all our family who helped out with kids at home. My mom and sisters have kept Ainlsey since Friday - And Brock and M&J helped with the boys.

Saturday evening I went home to get some sleep and was going to go back to the hospital to spell Daniel a few hours later but I had chills really bad. I think I was extremely exausted having only slept maybe 2 hours the night before. I took some tylenol and went to bed with my wintercoat on. When the fever broke I was one big ball of sweat. I kept looking at the clock feeling guilty that I hadn't gone back to the hospital to spell Daniel but I was feeling terrible. I finally called him around 11pm and asked if I should come back but he said no - that I should stay home and rest. I was so thankful because I ended up gettting up two or 3 times during the night and dry heaving. I was grateful I didn't have anything on my stomach. Sunday and today I've continued with a debilatating fever. It's so hard to feel so bad and have to take care of a sick baby - making sure she's eating and drinking. She wasn't drinking enough at the hospital so they had to put an IV in.

Today the kids doctor called and asked if I had gotten a call on Friday about Chase's step culture they were growing at the hospital. I said no. Well it was positive also. I guess it's rare but sometimes kids get mono and strep together. Poor Kid!

So we're sick of the sickness!!! I hope it goes away soon!

7 comments:

O family said...

Oh my goodness! I hope that everyone is ok. Poor little sick Chase and Piper and YOU! I totally know how difficult it can be when you are taking care of a sick baby and sick yourself. I hope that all gets better and everyone feels better soon. LOVE YOU!

Christine said...

Um, YUCK !!!! I'm sorry you've had to deal with that and that it's all come at once. Hope your family is recovering well!

The Gang said...

Geez!!! Hope everyone is feeling better sooner than later!! Like they say... when it rains it pours! Hope everyone is back on there feet again in no time!!
Stacy and Brian

Anonymous said...

They say bad things come in 3's...but this is ridiculous!
Hoping and praying for QUICK and FULL recoveries!!!!

emlizalmo said...

Blech! That's all I can say! I hope things are going better now.

Judi said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear all this news of sickness in your home. I hope everyone is recovering! I think we all need some spring weather! You are in my thoughts.

B said...

i hope everyone is on the mend! And, as the icing on top, M said that you have lost your voice! I'm so sorry!