Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Saga Continues

Daniel called me around 2:15 yesterday saying he was finally on his plane to New York. The connection was supposed to leave NY around 4pm. He called me at 3:50 and had just landed but he was now at a HUGE international airport. His arriving flight was US AIR and his departing flight was American so he had to completely change terminals which involved getting on a bus to another terminal and going thru security again. He called me at 4:20 out of breath. He was on the plane. He told me later that they were literally closing the door as he got there and that they had canceled all the rest of the flights to Dallas that day. His was the last to get out! What a blessing!!

But.... it doesn't have a completely happy ending. Because of the quick turn around time and the different airlines etc... yep, you guessed it - No luggage. His stay was 4 days and 4 nights so he didn't just have an overnight carry on. He had packed a garment bag with his new suit he had bought for this event. He also had a large duffel with some warm waterproof fishing attire for his big "REWARD" day tomorrow on Lake Fork plus regular clothes, underwear, shaving kit etc... All he was carrying was his computer bag with study material.

He didn't arrive until 8pm and had to report this morning at 6:30 am. Not enough time for the airlines to get him his bag so luckily the mall was still open and he went on a quick shopping spree - new shirt and tie, new blazer, new pants, new socks and new dress shoes. UUUGGGGHHH!! I think this test is costing us more than a 2 week vacation for the whole family. I mean he used over a week of vacation to study for it, the test costs a couple thousand dollars to take, in essence we bought 2 plane tickets (although we hope we get part of that back), a new suit stuck in his luggage, a whole new outfit including a blazer and shoes, rental car, hotel, food and fishing!! I can't wait to get beyond this trip!

The good news is that he isn't taking his test while wearing the same clothes he spent the last 2 days in. And the other good news is, that as I write, he is taking the test. He should be done by lunchtime today!

10 comments:

Christine said...

Yeah!! We're so glad he made it there, though that's a bummer about the luggage. You've been in our thoughts and prayers. We'll be looking for the results of the exam - but knowing Dan, we're not worried at all. So glad he made it!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Whew! I'm exhausted! What a nightmare for him...and you. SO glad he made it there, the mall was still open, and thetest is probably over. Way to go DAN! AS

Ree said...

Thanks for posting--we've been thinking and praying for you. I'm so relieved that he made it, even if his luggage didn't.

Boss said...

Holy freak! I cannot believe the insane bureaucracy (and expense) of practicing medicine. I hope it all went well, and that you are at this moment having a celebratory party.

O family said...

oh my goodness. This was stressful for me just to read this. I hope that all went well and one day you will look back and laugh :)

Anonymous said...

good luck Dan! ugh, I bet sitting in the airport for 2 days was a huge inconvenience. I am glad you did finally get out and arrive.

Britt, I hope your blood pressure has returned to normal.. :o)

Anonymous said...

I think "Nightmare" is an understatement!!
Hope he ACES this thing!!!!!!

Princess Gerty said...

We are so relieved to hear our prayers were answered for him to get there on time. I can't wait to hear that our prayers were answered that he blew them away in the test. We love you guys and we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Aren't you glad you didn't come too? We hope everything else turned out great! Wendy

Anonymous said...

How did he do? I hope he blew them away! :)