Sunday, September 09, 2007

No More NECCOs

My grandpa ALWAYS has Necco wafers. Ainsley knows exactly where his secret box is. She gets a mini pacakage of Neccos everytime we visit my grandparents. We went for a visit on Thursday. We dropped by some photos and some homemade chocolate chip cookies for my grandpa's 83rd birthday. Each of the kids got their package of Neccos and dug right in. A minute later Ainsley came running in the kitchen making a horrible face looking for the trash can. Apparently the white ones are too minty and she had to spit hers out. Then she picked out another white one and was going to throw it away. I took it from her and popped it in my mouth. As I was chewing this wafer I noticed some really hard crunchy bits. I thought I must have gotten one that had some granulated sugar that didn't get melted down. Meanwhile it seemed that the chewed candy was sticking in a bunch on my back teeth. The granualted sugar lumps didn't seem to be disolving and my tooth in the back didn't seem to be feeling better. I started feeling like I was choking on these hard granules. I started exploring with my tongue and then realized that my 1st molar (2nd from the back) had a huge hole in it and I was chewing up bits of a filling and tooth. I ran to the bathroom and rinsed my mouth trying to rid myself of all the hard bits. I was having visions of my intestines being cut up by bits of enamel.

Luckily the tooth doesn't hurt. Although I will make an appointment with my dentist this week. I think that may be the tooth that I had my first and only root canal on last winter. They decided they didn't need to do a crown then, oh but I guess they will now!! RATS!!!


My sister had a similar experience last year. She had had a root canal on a tooth. They told her that she would need a crown and to make her appointment for that in the near future. Well, getting a root canal isn't cheap and crowns are even more so she decided to wait a little between the two. (Like a year) Valentines day rolled around and she decided to eat a box of candy hearts. She bit into those tiny little hearts and her tooth crumbled. She ended up swallowing most of her tooth and that made her feel sick to her stomach and like she wanted to gag all day. Oh, by the way - guess who makes candy hearts? NECCO!


So the moral of the story is - If you are an adult with bad teeth, lots of fillings. . . root canals etc...- like my family -
Don't Eat Neccos!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the warning to people about necco. :) Those candy hearts cost me a lot of money. Brielle

Froga-lee said...

A homemade carmel neatly popped a crown off my molar last winter. That was one expensive piece of candy!

Like Mike said...

NECCO candy never got me. But like Froggy, I have been bitten by carmel. It did not claim a crown, just a filling. Now I make sure the carmel is warm and soft first.

O family said...

Oh, I just love neccos! I haven't had one is forever though. Hope your tooth gets fixed soon!

Ree said...

Two broken tooth incidents in one family? I wonder how often necco candies cause that kind of problem. We don't eat them often, but they are my favorite thing when decorating gingerbread houses. Does Man take care of your dental work?

Boss said...

Thanks for the warning! I lost a molar to a sugar daddy once. Luckily it was one of those teeth that's supposed to fall out. But with my mouth full of fillings, I should be extra careful.

Anonymous said...

I remember NECCOS from Grandpa... I still laugh when I remember when we went to their house with Ainsley and she wouldn't leave the hallay until Grandpa gave them to her.. :o)
Sorry about your tooth.. my teeth are all messed up to. I have a really sensitive spot on an upper back molar.. not yummy

Anonymous said...

After reading all these comments I'm never eating candy again!!!

Sorry about your tooth!!

Amanda

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that your father and I are not paying for your dentist visits anymore :)
Love, Mom