Thursday, September 13, 2007

First Day 2007

Due to the construction going on at the high school we had a really long summer. We got out on June 1st (which was a week earlier than most of the schools around here). We didn't have to make up our 2 snow days and then we didn't go back until after Labor Day. ( a week after most schools started). So our official first day was Tues, Sept. 4th.

The morning went off without a hitch, we were even ready early (even though I was exhausted from our busy weekend.) Both boys needed haircuts and that has since been remedied but as for the first day they were a bit bushy. Chase is a "safety patrol" this year. It is quite an honor to be nominated for this, only a few are chosen from the 4th and 5th graders. He has bus duty and then a "post" on school grounds that he monitors.

Chase was really excited to start school. He really wanted a man teacher and he had a 50% chance of getting one (2 of the 4 fourth grade teachers are men). He got Mr. Kennedy and he is really excited. Some of their early curriculum is learning to play chess (right up Chase's alley) and studying black crickets. Chase had so much fun cricket hunting the other night outside our house. He ended up with 2. As he tried to hand me the big one (because he had dropped the little one and needed to recover him) I grabbed him by the leg. Chase hadn't let go when I pulled on the leg and it came right off. I asked him if they were allowed to study a one legged cricket. He said he thought so. We put the crickets in a bag with some grass. We used a fork to poke some airholes in the bag. As everyone was getting ready for bed I heard the chirping. I said - OH NO! I told Chase he had to put the crickets in his backpack and keep them in his room during the night. He said his classroom is constantly chirping and sometimes it gets hard to concentrate.

MacGregor on the other hand was VERY nervous for the first day. None of his good buddies are in his class this year. Of the 4 2nd grade teachers there were 2 that he really wanted. He got neither. According to MacGregor he got the "strictest" teacher, Mrs. Appleyard. Although when he got off the bus the first day he gave me a shy smile and said that Mrs. Appleyard was one of the nicest teachers. (Since the first day there have been a few instances where I think he has reconsidered using the word nicest.) We'll see how the rest of the year goes. MacGregor is a good kid and shouldn't have any trouble.
Piper was really excited on the first day too. Here's a few photos of how she was feeling.

4 comments:

O family said...

The boys just look so cute! I hope that they have a great school year. Oh, and I love little Piper in the last picture. hehe her mouth is so cute!!!!

Princess Gerty said...

Wow! I am so excited for those guys! Macgregor sure looks like his cousin Big B!

Princess Gerty said...

PS Is your friend Rachel the one that I know? If so, tell her I said hi! Her daughter is so cute!

Anonymous said...

What handsome boys!!! Also, growing up too fast. Oh! Where does the time go? I'm a very blessed Mamaw. And Piper - love that mouth.
Love, Mamaw