Saturday, December 06, 2008

Veteran's Day

I've been meaning to post this.  For Veterans' Day, Chase's class sent Daniel homemade cards.  He hung many of them up on his wall along with artwork from our own kids.  He literally has wall paper made from Ainsley's drawings and cards received.  I imagine his room is among the most cheerful places on the base, which can be very monotone and drab.
He wrote a wonderful thank you letter to Chase's class and I wanted all of you to read it too.

Dear Class,
I want to thank all of you for making my day. All the cards and letters were very uplifting and helped me to have a great Veteran's Day. I want to let you know that the things that you write in your letters and cards really make a difference in the life and attitude of the soldiers that receive them. It certainly was a very pleasant surprise to receive such a large envelope full of well wishes. I have hung many of the cards on my wall along with some artwork from my children. These reminders help me to feel happy when I am so far from home and family. They really help me to remember that there are great people who love and support me in the great work I am doing. I will give an update on how everything is going over here in Iraq. I am located in the desert in the western portions of Iraq. Control of the area was recently given to the Iraqis and overall things are going very well. There really isn't much going on in the way of insurgency or warring. The hospital has not been seeing many war casualties at all (I am happy about that). Our mission is clear, but I feel that this war is really coming to an end (which I believe is good for everyone). Let me just say that I am proud to serve my country in the military. I am a better person for serving the country which has provided me with the greatest opportunities for success. The freedom that we enjoy today was paid for by brave, loyal, dedicated and committed young men and women in years past. Thank you again for thinking of me and providing me with moral support.
Take Care and Let Freedom Ring!

5 comments:

Miss Crys said...

Dan--
You and Brittney were so kind on our recent post, thank you! I still remember how you warmed our hearts last year with the flowers for Shane's Birthday--tiny acts of kindness go a long long way! I am so sad to hear that you are away from your beautiful family right now; but I am so proud of your stalwart example in serving our country so cheerfully. Miss Brittney, you are an amazing woman--hold the fort down as well as you always do! Need apples? We would love to make a trip up if so! :) Love--Crystal

Princess Gerty said...

Man, You are the best. I am so proud of you and I thank you for your positive service.

emlizalmo said...

What great cards! I can only imagine how happy that made your Dad. Dan, you are awesome...that's all I have to say about that!

Anonymous said...

Great blog Dan. Great words. Great man. I love you, Reenie

Rich said...

Daniel,
I am a active duty CRNA on my way over to your location in the near future. I have been trying to get some basic information for a while now, but since your CSH is a reserve unit; no one in the active side seems to know anything. Anyway, from what I can figure out from a basic look at your page you have have some role in the OR. Some of the info I was looking for was basics; such as: case load, types of cases, living conditions, ect...I would be interested in talking a bit more if possible. Do you have a generic email; or could we just use your page. Thanks again for the help. Rich