Monday, August 03, 2009

It's In The Mail

CASH PETERSON  JULY 2009
Ok - so it took me two weeks from the time this was completed until I actually sent it.  It was very hard for me to give up.  It's a creation that I made (not too unlike my own children) that I  labored over for many months.  When the creation is completed I like to see it often, constantly admiring it and showing it to anyone who comes to the door.  So when it is sent away - I am left with a hole.  I guess I will have to start another one to fill that hole.

So here's the story on this quilt that I made for Cash Peterson and completed July 2009.  I first bought the 2 darkest blue fabrics independently at two shops just because I liked them.  I then found this pattern that was put out by a fabric company to go with a new line they were selling.  The fabric that they sold came with 4 strips of the same color fading from light to dark - all on the same bolt.  The deal was that you use this pattern with this fabric just buying the 3 colors you wanted to use and you'd have the perfect gradual fade.  I like the pattern but wasn't wild about their color options which were all solids.  I wanted prints since it was for a baby.  So I picked up the pattern, figured out the correct yardage for each fabric while I was shopping (not easy and a lot of math) then I hand picked the prints trying to get the same faded look.  I was really happy with the end result although the yellow was REALLY hard to find in the faded tones and I don't love the middle square.  I've found there is always one fabric in a quilt that I don't love.

Close up - Blue Square
Close up - Yellow Square
Close up - Brown Square
I then took it back to the shop where I had picked up the pattern and had her long arm it.  This is only the third quilt I've had long armed but I absolutely love it.  I now want them all to be long armed but the wait is so long and the expense is pretty high.  My friend is thinking of buying a long arm machine and I really hope she does.  I would love to learn how to do it and maybe she would rush my projects and I wouldn't have to wait so long to get them back.

Back and Binding - Quilting detail
The back is Ultra Soft Minky - Long Arm Detail
Detail - Yellow Fabrics
Detail - Brown Fabrics
Detail - Blue Fabrics
Here's one last look.  I love the geometric look and how it appears to be layered one square atop the other.  Hope Cash likes it.

7 comments:

emlizalmo said...

OH MY GOSH. My jaw is on the floor. No wonder you couldn't part with it. It is absolutely gorgeous. Perfect. That long arming/stippling/whatever it's called is fabulous! This is hands down the most amazing quilt you have ever done...in my opinion of course. :) Lucky Cash!...and lucky Brielle. :)

B said...

Ditto! It is absolutely gorgeous! You are amazing Brittney!

Boss said...

Well, if Cash doesn't like it, I'm calling dibs, cause that's just GORGEOUS!

Diane Arnett Gardiner said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!

O family said...

This is such an awesome quilt. Seriously, I love love love it. Cash will too. How could he not? You are so talented!

Princess Gerty said...

You are amazing!

Jim and Reenie said...

Aren't you glad Dad & I gave you that sewing machine for graduation?
See what has become of it? You have really learned to become quite a quilter. I know your siblings enjoy your talent too.
Love, Mom