Saturday, July 07, 2007

Quilt in a Day

The Sister missionaries have been over a lot lately. They always ask is there is anything they can do for us, me, our family. Of course the answer in is no because they can't babysit and that is usually what I need. So one sister was saying she would be happy to come over and clean my house if I needed help - she just wanted an opportunity to serve. Well - I am not a good housekeeper but the thought of the missionaries on their hands and knees wearing skirts and cleaning my bathrooms or picking up toys was just WRONG! So I said - could you come over and sew?

She looked at me a little weird and said I don't know how to sew. So I responded, what about pinning and ironing. I love to sew in groups where you can get an assembly line working and one person doesn't have to do ALL the steps themselves. Of course I wanted them to come and work on one of my projects, but I thought it might be more fitting to do humanitarian service quilts.


So they agreed and hopefully we are going to do this twice a month.


I had an old table cloth that I was going to throw away several months ago. My linen closet is too full and this table cloth was square and I don't have a square table and couldn't remember the last time I used it. But something stopped me and I decided to put it with my fabric stash. Then while shopping at JoAnns this week I found a bunch of flannel for only $2 a yard. So I picked some up.


So I think I deserve some SRC points. I did have to buy the batting but I should be able to get 2 to 3 quilts out of it. I used less than 2 yards of fabric for the front at $2 a yard - so I spent about $3.58 on fabric for the front. I used an old table cloth for the back and crosheen in my stash to tie it. We finished it in one day and I am excited to present to the Relief Society President on Sunday.

3 comments:

B said...

Cute cute cute! Way to go...getting some service in there!

Shana said...

I love all the quilts that you make. You do such a great job. Guess I'm going to have to come spend a weekend and learn some of your tips and I'll babysit in return!

Lady said...

Shana - you have a deal. Anytime I can have someone quilt with me is a GOOD time!!! I really am just a beginner though. I wish I had the time to take on some riskier projects.